Macbook Deliver - UK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beardboy, Feb 5, 2008.

1. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

Hi all,

I've been reading the forums lots recently, as on 29th Jan i ordered myself a MacBook. I've never used one before and am looking forward to getting it.

I noticed that some people said they've ordered on the 30th Jan and received theirs the following Tues/Weds, but i'm still waiting for mine! :(

The status say:
    Estimated Delivery Date 08 Feb 2008 (Subject to change)
    Current Delivery Status In Transit to Customer - Shipment on Schedule 05 Feb 2008

It looks like it's going to be delivered today, but there's still no tracking information at all regarding the courier, so i don't know...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

2. bonecracker macrumors member

Your best bet is to look at your apple account and it should give you the tracking number. Go to ups.com and type in the number and that should tell where your macbook is. I ordered mine last Monday and received by Thursday..good luck. Ps if you have'nt used mac before, I would recommend the missing manual for leopard.

3. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

Thanks bonecracker.

Where's the best place to get the missing manual from? Is it Apple's own, or a third party download/purchase?

Thanks

4. bonecracker macrumors member

Amazon £17 ....i sat up intill the early hours reading it and finding all sorts of functions that are in leopard, fantastic... very sad according to my wife, but what they know??

5. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

Cool - I'll take a look at that then and prob order it :)

Women - know nothing! :D

6. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

Still no sign of it! Grr. No courier information either!

7. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

It's now saying UK DISTRIBUTION CENTRE. Does that mean it's now arrived at Apple UK and they've now got to dispatch it?!

8. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

Its finally changed!

Now I have a tracking number and says UPS are the courier.

Anybody know what UPS are like for delivering?

9. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Depending where you are in the UK, you should receive it tomorrow. I had UK distribution centre today then it changed to UPS with an UPS tracking number. I have tracked it in UPS which says billing information received. Apple site says delivery tomorrow. In my past experience with Apple and UPS, once you get the carrier and tracking number I have always had my order the next day.

10. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

Thanks for the reply.

Just checked it online now and it's out for deliver today!!

Soon to no longer be a Mac virgin!

11. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Brilliant news, you'll have lots of fun with it today.

12. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

Well...i'll try to have fun with it, but as i've never used one, it'll mainly be a learning curve! lol

Today's going to go sooo slow! :(

13. preset macrumors newbie

bonecracker, I'm switching over from PC to MAC is this book worth taking a look at??
    "Switching to the MAC The Missing Manual Leopard Edition" I'm guessing this is for PC/MAC novices, I'm totally new to switching over to MAC.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Switching-M...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202375571&sr=1-1

or are you suggesting this book??

"Mac OS X Leopard The Missing Manual "

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mac-OS-Leop...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202374944&sr=1-2.

14. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

@beardboy mine is now showing out for delivery too now:D

15. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

That's great news for you too!

Are you a long time Mac user, or is this also your first?

16. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

It's not my first Mac but it is my first MacBook. I started with a Mac Mini last year, then I bought this iMac (an aluminium one) and sold the mini. I have just sold this iMac and am waiting for their cheque to clear. I also bought the 20" apple cinema display and a sleeve which will also be here today. That way I can hook up the MB to the display to have a desktop but also have the MB for portability.

Believe me you'll never look back

17. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

Sort of similar setup to me, i've got a Samsung 26" HDTV that i used as an external monitor on my Windows laptop, so that'll get plugged into my MacBook when it arrives. Can't wait now. Also got a Logitech MX Revolution and Apple Wired Keyboard for when it's on the desk. :)

What's the iMac like, as i'm contemplating getting the girlfriend one, probably the 20" and getting 4GB RAM for it?

Thanks

18. 7031 macrumors 6502

I've got one and I'd say that it is generally a very solid and stable system. It is pretty fast and is suitable for most of the things that I have been doing with it. Install windows and it's not a bad PC either.

So yes, I'd recommend it.

19. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

The iMac is brilliant, I'm only selling it as I need portability. I have the 2.4 20" model, its not the base model. I upgraded the ram myself, its easy to do and a whole lot cheaper. I got 4gb ram sitting here in their plastic cases waiting to go in the MB when it arrives

20. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

I've also got 4GB here ready to stick in the MacBook! lol

Might have to pop to an Apple store and have a play with an iMac then.

Thanks for your input :)

21. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Good luck with getting the Macbook! And yeah, i think you'll love an iMac. My wife has one, and while i don't get to use it too often I love it whenever i get chance!

Such a lovely machine! :D

22. beardboy thread starter macrumors regular

beardboy

Cool. Will definately have to go play then.

My girlfriend works for the media, so would like one for things like Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator etc.

I keep telling her to setup her own business, but she won't! Grrr...

23. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Yeah, we have cs3 full suite as my wife is a designer too. You can quite easily design on a pc, but mac is just cooler! haha

My wife works at the uni teaching deisgn software, photoshop, illustrator etc, and also does freelance design work...hence why i never get to play on the mac! :(

Get your gf to give design a go, it's hard to get into, but of you ever make it...there's £'s to be made!!

24. scharf10 macrumors member

Slightly off topic I know, but what does her university teaching course called? Is it actually teaching Photoshop etc or are they just involved slightly.

I'm asking because I'm currently looking for a graphic design/photography course of some sort and none seem to be offering what I want. I'm based in Scotland which might be the problem.

Thanks, Scharf.

25. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

She works in the art & design department. She studied Textile Crafts when she was a student. Most other students never touched a computer, but she was really interested in it all so took that path...done good from it too.

So, sorry i don't think it'll be what you're after! It's not specific to photoshop/ graphic design. At the moment it's a small part, but she is trying to get them to see that cad design is the future...we'll see how successful she is, haha!