Macbook + Dell 2713HM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by huythanhv2, Mar 30, 2016.

1. huythanhv2, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

huythanhv2 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have the Retina Macbook 12 and Dell 2713HM (2560x1440).

Dell 2713HM doesn't support HDMI 1.4 so connect via HDMI only grant 1080p max resolution.

So I'm looking for a resolution to make this possible.

There are quite a few HDMI->DVI adapter/cable in the wild and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with getting those cable/adapter.

I'm in Australia so if it's available some where here or on eBay that would be great.

---

Ok since there is no reply, and I have done extensive research on this matter, this is my conclusion.

If you have a monitor higher than 1080p that support HDMI 1.4 then you are in luck, you can use Apple adapter and connect via HDMI to drive your monitor at its fullest resolution.

However, if your higher than 1080p doesn't support HDMI 1.4 then your only option is the Google USB-C to DP. But that cable doesn't support power through, so you have to pick between charging your laptop or using the monitor. If you are in this category, please don't waste your time with those HDMI to DVI cable/adapter because they are all single link (support upto 1080p), not dual link as required (althought they advertised as dual link!)

---

Feel free to correct me or update as new solution surfaced.

2. visys macrumors newbie

visys

thanks huy, i am looking for a wqhd monitor myself, didn't know about the hdmi 1.4 issue, thank you, take care ;-)

3. brian-ky macrumors newbie

I wasted several hours and ordered several different combinations of cables/adapters, active HDMI->DisplayPort powered adapter, and even USB-C docks with 2nd USB-C port.

NONE of them would power Dell 2713HM with resolution above 1080p. Many would not display any image.

There are some USB-C docks with DisplayPort output but they continue to say "shipping soon" for the past multiple months.

I finally gave up and purchased new monitor that supports HDMI 1.4. It works great.

4. Altis macrumors 68010

Thanks for posting the update. That absolutely sucks, though.

Is there no USB-C to MiniDisplayport?

5. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

This is going to sound odd, but if you do get your setup working, can you post a picture on here? I am planning to sell my 11" 2011 MBA and looking to get the rMB when the update comes. I was thinking about pairing it with a monitor like yours. It would just be nice to see since it is hard to search for those particular set ups without sifting through every picture on the "desktop set up past and present" in the picture forum.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

@Eggtastic For 27" WQHD 2560x1440 monitors look at the Asus PB278Q. I've not bought the adapter needed to try it yet with my rMB, but I've used it via displayport with my mac mini for a while now and it's been a great monitor. Specs claim HDMI 1.4 so it ought to work.

Can't help you with the setup picture though.

7. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I am looking for an ultra-wide screen now. Maybe curved too. Well see how pricing works out. First thing is to hopefully hear soon of an update so I can justify buying now or actually waiting for the revision.

8. huythanhv2 thread starter macrumors regular

Short answer is making sure your monitor support HDMI 1.4 and you'll be free of trouble.

Anything other than that, you'll have to buy USB-C to DP from Google. And you can't charge while using that cable.

9. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

is there a cable that is capable of charging and powering a monitor like that out there?

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

11. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I'll just add that you're completely correct here. I've previously hunted around for the same myself (though in the direction of DVI machine to HDMI monitor). HDMI can't carry a Dual-Link DVI signal, so the connection isn't possible - despite the (enormously misleading) information to the contrary that various vendors post about their products.