Macbook design flaw?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AznTakumi, Feb 9, 2012.

1. AznTakumi macrumors regular

Why is the macbook design with the air vent on the hinge of the screen? Wouldn't this prevent air flow instead of promoting it? I notice apple does this on a lot of there computers and wondering why?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have rarely encountered any exhaust problems. The main issue is that the bezel adhesive tends to fail in the area hit by the exhaust. I just barely had the repair authorized on my Macbook. I have seen plenty of iBooks with loose bezels in the same area as well.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's the closest side to where the processors are located, that's part of it.

4. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

It's form over function. It looks prettier. But temps do take a it. When I was running my macbook headless (top case removed, had display cable damaged now fixed) it would run at least an 12ºC cooler.

On the bright side it somewhat protects the vents from random objects.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't prevent airflow. The CPU and GPU, which are the two primary furnaces, are located near the hinge, as is the fan. The vents work with the lid open or closed, which allows operation in clamshell mode. The design works. It's not a flaw.