Macbook Design

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kitch95, Aug 29, 2008.

1. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

I love the current macbook design and was wondering if the next macbook will just look like a small mbp. And how much the specs will improve compared to the current one.

Thanks any opinions would be appreciated

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

No one here knows for sure, and those that might cannot comment.

Speculation suggests that the MacBook will receive a new case (aluminum), and that both the MB and the MBP will receive a slight case redesign to reflect the aesthetic of the MBA.
    As for specs, probably a slightly better better processor, and maybe a better integrated graphics chip.

If you're sold on the current MacBook, a redesign might not be what you want. However, Apple will have some old stock if the new MBs don't suit you, just be prepared to pick one out pretty quickly.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Everyone will have their own opinions, and everyone will disagree on something. You should browse the rumors section. It'll give you a decent idea on what to (maybe) expect.

I think they might make the MacBooks in aluminum cases with a sort of hybrid current MBP/MBA morphology. But there is no reason for me to be correct.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MacBook is NOT going to look like a MacBook Pro.

You know what something that looks like MacBook Pro is going to be called?
    A: MacBook Pro

There are dozens of threads on this.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm not sure that any of us can predict this with certainty, but aluminium seems to have become the case material of choice in the Mac world, given that both the MBP and MBA use it (and the old Powerbook did, too). It's light, durable, (granted, it dents a bit) and looks good. In truth, I would be surprised if we did not see it used a bit more, but that is still a guess, not a statement of fact.

Cheers

6. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

iMac is now aluminium.
    It would make sense for Macbook to go aluminium.

White Plastic is waaaay cooler.

7. jshelton macrumors 6502a

The white Macbook is beautiful. I prefer it over aluminum.

8. kitch95 thread starter macrumors regular

kitch95

I no the white is way cooler and so is the keyboard:D

9. kabunaru Guest

MacBooks should go to Aluminium with these coming updates.

10. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I personally just got MB today and love the design! The iPod and Printer may slightly be swaying my judgement, but nonetheless, it's feels sturdy (when I put pressure down on my machine, my desk creaks and it stays quiet), and it's just so good looking! The keyboard really does increase the accuracy of my typing, and feels natural to type on as well. Speed wise (one again, my judgement may be slightly off due to me using a PowerBook), it is extremely fast! Overall, the machine is awesome.

From using a MBP at work, I must say that I love this design a lot better.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If Apple's current trend continues it will be a combination of black plastic and aluminium. No doubt it will get a black keyboard, which will make it look as ugly as the MacBook Air.

12. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Ah, so I'm not the only person here, then, that really does not like the MacBook Air's design? What a relief! I would be thoroughly disappointed if the whole MacBook line was redesigned to more resemble the Air. I'd be perfectly fine with a MacBook resembling the current MacBook Pro, though. Apple may then, and only then, transmogrify the Pro towards the Air's design all they want.

In an ideal world, though, the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines would be merged into one line of portable base systems. That way, everybody could BTO them exactly the way they'd want. But then again, in a perfect word, the xMac/Mac Pro mini would be introduced Next Tuesday™...

13. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

while the white macbook looks good, i would never buy it. aluminum is more a timeless design unlike the white macbook which is starting to look ummmm old imo.
    aluminium all the way

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I couldn't disagree more. I think the white is great. It has class IMO. Aluminum is so PC.

15. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I disagree. I think the MacBook will get a white keyboard (like the wireless KB) to differentiate it from the MBA/MBP.

16. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

How about a white ANODIZED aluminum Macbook? :rolleyes:

Or even black anodized? I'm sold if it happens. If anyone can do it right, Apple can. ;)

17. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Rumors indicate that the next MacBook will have an aluminum case and a design change that takes cues from the iMac and MacBook Air.

I think that it will have a white keyboard and a black display bezel, as well as probable other swaths of black like the iMac.

Rumors have stayed silent on specs (as they normally do).

Generally the MacBooks and MacBook Pros go in alternating update types:
    • New chipset - Technical updates (like X1600 GPU » 8600M GT GPU, LED display), small spec updates
    • No new chipset - Little or no technical updates, large spec updates (256 MB GPU » 512 MB GPU, 80/120/160 GB HD » 120/160/250 GB HD)
    The upcoming notebooks fall into the "new chipset" category, so I wouldn't expect big spec increases. Apple is likely to also use the new 25 W CPUs, maintaining clock speed (increasing on the low-end) while reducing heat.

Other rumored features of the new MacBooks include a 14" 16:9 display, a glass trackpad with iPhone-like multi-touch features and gestures, and a non-Montevina (speculation points to NVIDIA) chipset.

18. kitch95 thread starter macrumors regular

kitch95

I would so buy a anodized black macbook that would be so cool:D

19. kabunaru Guest

I am hoping all of this will be true.

20. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, even WHITE would be cool. I'm hoping Apple does do it, since it'll be pretty interesting, and it'll still set the Macbooks apart from the Macbook Pros, while still using Aluminum.