MacBook detects battery but can not turn on using it

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iDutchman, Nov 19, 2011.

1. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I, today, received a MacBook 13" white (non-unibody, begin 2007). The device was given to me as I work in an Apple Store in Amsterdam. The user wanted us to recycle it. After first turning it on, I discovered a new HD was necessary to get it up and running.

.. It's running Lion (2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo). Also, there's a brand new battery inside. Although, it does detects the new battery and sees it's amperage and charging cycles, it can not use it.

The battery has about 35% charge and the MacBook sees it but won't turn on from it.

What can be wrong (as it definitely sees the battery and tells me all the information about it)?

MacBook can be used via it's AC adapter.

Thx in advance.

2. iDutchman, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Progress:

I took it apart and saw that the Battery cable connector (to the Logic Board) had a dark black spot in the middle around some pins.

Now, I do hope that if I replace this cable, it'll work. I'll go to my Apple store and replace it. Let's hope so. I'm afraid it might be the logic board

3. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Did you try doing a RTC reset? Or whatever it's called, if i recall correctly you hold ctrl+alt+command + r and then press power to turn on and do a reset, you hold those buttons when it's powered off so it turns off when those buttons are pushed, i might have remembered the correct key sequence, but a simple google search will give you the correct answer. A RTC reset will reset the battery state, that's what people usually do when they install a fresh OSX copy that is newer than previous installs to make the battery report correct charge.

4. Sonhascome macrumors 6502