MacBook died after a year

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnnw, Jun 19, 2014.

1. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I was watching Netflix and it just shut off. No response to any buttons, no light on multiple working chargers. Logic board?

Thank god I have the warranty or I would be extremely disappointed.

Anyways my question... I have the HDD upgraded to an SSD I installed when I first got it.

This is allowed under warranty right? IIRC it details it in the manual so I shouldn't have any problems because of this? I still have the old HDD because i use it as my clone backup drive, should I put it in the MacBook before taking it in for service? (Very not ideal)

Just making sure they won't hassle me because of it. I also have a skin on it to stop it from getting scratched, should I remove this?

Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No issues on the SSD. The warranty covers the original parts or parts ordered through Apple. This means that if your original hard drive crashed that is covered or if you ordered a replacement or upgrade through Apple it is covered. Apple is not responsible for your SSD or damage from installing it.

The rest of the Mac is covered but the SSD. No problems on leaving the skin on so long as the bottom case is unobstructed to remove.

3. jg321 macrumors 6502

Personal experience of this in the UK. Went in once for an issue with the speaker, and he insisted that it could be the SSD that I'd installed. Problem was the speaker issue was intermittent, and he wanted to test it without the SSD in. In the end I got a new logic board, as they managed to prove the fault without the SSD in.

Second time it was a fan issue. He wasn't bothered about the SSD at all.

I'd weigh it up tbh. If it's relatively hassle-free to go to the store (i.e. not a long drive), then I'd just go with the SSD installed. If however you need minimal hassle with the visit, then the slight task of putting the disk back in the computer might be worth it. Sometimes I just can't be bothered arguing with people! Realise this may be an issue with the data on the external drive etc.

Regarding the skin, keep it on. Again, mine went in with one, and under "cosmetic condition" they put "perfect, as new, been in a skin permanently". Seems to help out with the "careful owner" impression.

Let us know how you get on.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd reinstall the original drive simply to avoid any issues. It isn't too difficult in the MacBook Pro line, so why not?

5. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

ya i would reinstall the original drive. IIRC, Apple wont' fix it without having the original drive in most of hte time.

6. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

"Genius." Enough said.

On the OP's question, hard drive replacements don't void the warranty. Apple even included a hard drive and RAM replacement guide in the manual that came with the computer. Given what the post above says however, I would still recommend putting the old hard drive in the computer, just to save time if you get the dumb "genius."

7. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Thanks everyone, since my computer is broken I haven't gotten back on here since hah.

I will put the old one in I guess to avoid problem, hopefully it boots fine as I won't be able to check considering it won't power on

8. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Annnnddddd it happened again.

MacBook randomly shut off in the middle of watching netflix. Now it won't turn on.

Last time I brought it into Apple all he claims he did is an SMC reset, which fixed it. What had me boggled is I tried that over the phone with an apple person and it didn't fix it.

Now I have the same problem again and sure enough an SMC reset is not working. I am using apples support page to do so. Holding shift control option plus power button and releasing them all. Nothing happening.

Any clue on what to do? An smc fixed it last time when the guy at the store did it but sure enough now it's not working for me. I don't really want to go into the store again and look silly when all that needs to be done is supposodely an SMC reset.

9. HBP macrumors member

do a pram reset

10. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Doesn't the computer need to be able to turn on? I can't power it on

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

PRAM reset isn't going to fix it, and won't work if the computer doesn't turn on.

Have you upgraded anything else besides the HDD?

12. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Nope just the HDD.

This is the second time this happened but I found a big thread on Apples website, and the fix is to open the computer and just disconnect the battery cable and plug it back in.

Someone on Apples forum suggested this fix and there is 10 pages of "thank you" where it fixed peoples macbook.

This explains why my computer didn't work the first time when I tried and then a week later when I brought it into Apple and it worked. I read on the same Apple thread that the computer starts working again after a while. Or you can do the battery disconnect.

13. johnnnw thread starter macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Lucky me...another new problem. Laptop just straight instantly shuts off when I plug in my iPhone to charge.

Won't turn back on until iPhone is unplugged

Unplug iPhone and computer boots after hitting the power button.

Recreated 3 times to confirm

This computer has been endless little problems it seems. I was happy for about 6 months and now when considering the amount of money it's pretty frustrating.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am thinking that your main Logic Board is shot...