MacBook died and leaked

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Lixue, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Lixue macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook I bought in February 08 and last October it died.
    It would not turn on at all so I paid £450 for it to be repaired and they replaced my casing for free, so I was happy.
    Now only 5 months later it has died again, though this time it leaked a vinegar smelling liquid out of the fans at the back.
    I have called Apple and have emailed pictures of the problem and was told they would call back by today at the latest, but I haven't heard anything.
    I was wondering if anyone knew what this could be and if it is totally dead or it would be something that can be fixed?
    Also will I need to pay again to repair it? Given that its really not meant to leak and I had it fixed recently it seems unfair.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Seeing that it's been only 5 months since it was fixed, I would definitely ask for a new repair or replacement. Call them again and try to get it fixed

3. nufanec macrumors regular

Sounds like somethings been spilled on it... Nothing in the central section of the MacBook has any liquid.

4. Lixue thread starter macrumors newbie

There was no liquid in the area, so I don't see how it would have been

5. Pax macrumors 6502a

There's liquid in the heat pipes from the CPU to the fans, but only a tiny amount and it's quite volatile. Some heat pipes contain ammonia (like household cleaner). Could this be it?

The battery also contains a jelly like gunk I believe. But you'd have to be pretty rough to crack the battery & it's in the wrong area, nowhere near the fans.

And finally the LCD contains some liquid gunk (hence liquid crystal!) but you'd notice that leaking, your LCD would probably no longer be black.

or a liquid spill....