MacBook died, some advice on getting another?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by user1690, Jun 7, 2011.

1. user1690 macrumors regular

user1690

Sorry for the vague title guys, im just looking for some advice now that my Mac has actually died.

Some of you may have seen my previous post about the charge port replacement question, that didnt go well (Thank god seller accepted that i can return mac for my money back.).

But my 2006 model macbook has literally just died, watching a video, and then...nothing but silence. Wont power up, wont do nothing, looks like logic board fried. So im currently using my netbook and linux.

The advice im looking for is as follows;

I would like to know, what type of mac should i get if i want to do the following:

Run Programs like Garageband, and Microsoft Word/Excel.
    Play games such as Half-Life 2 (On medium or low settings if nessecary.)
    Watch videos.

I was looking at iMacs, old ones with 2Ghz Core 2 Duo processors and 128MB Video RAM and they seem suitable considering my Macbook had a core Duo (2GHz) and GMA 950 GPU with 64MB Video RAM, and was able to run garageband and watch vids, but no games above Half-Life 1 could be run properly without a hang or crash. But what do you guys think i should get?

-Thanks.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

do you want a desktop or laptop? i would recommend a laptop as it is more versatile and you could always connect a monitor to it to essentially make it a desktop, or just use it as is and carry it around. with your needs you can honestly just get the current mb refurbished and upgrade the ram yourself. normally i would recommend a mbp but if you are just looking for something that has to be a mac and do what you listed, then the current white mb is something to consider.

3. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

Oh! Forgot to mention, budget is a little tight, hence was i was looking at older iMacs as they seem (on ebay anyway) to be within my price range.

As for desktop/laptop, to be honest im not all that bothered, my (now dead) macbook never really left the house anyway.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would prefer the MacBook Pro 13in low end model.
    Since C2D is a bit too old...
    The i5 or i7 is preferred.