macbook died :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hishat, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

i was watching a movie...when suddenly everything started to crash...

i did a force shut down...and now all im getting is the grey screen..with a folder and question mark.

im running a 2.16ghz macbook c2d...leopard with all the latest updates...

any idea why this happened??

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

The folder mark with a question means that it can't find your startup drive / OS. Your hard drive probably died. Try booting from the install disks, and repairing permissions, etc. If not, replacing the drive will (more than likely) do the trick.

3. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Bummer! Doesn't sound good. Most likely your HD crapped out! :eek:

4. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Lucky for you, though, hard drives are cheap and easy to install in the Macbook. Check Newegg.com for a replacement drive and get yourself back up and running!

6. hishat thread starter macrumors regular

hishat

i have insurance...so im gonna claim via them...see if they could fit a larger one in anyway.

thanks for the heads up guys :)

7. pirate pete macrumors newbie

hey buddy, did you by any chance buy your macbook about this time last year?

i bought mine almost 12 months to the day when this exact same thing happened to me, last friday

i decided to just buy a new 160gb drive, which came earlier and im installing tomorrow

10ms response time and 7200rpm :)

i have a 2gb, 2.16ghz C2D and 160gb hdd (now dead)

just wondering - you have 3.3gb of 'usable' ram in your macbook - does that mean you have 2x2gb sticks?

what revision macbook do you own? i thought mine was maxxed at 2gb.....

8. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Wasn't there something about a particular drive that was prone to crapping out? Not that yours is one of them, just something to check on. I can't even remember which it was - I just remember reading it and checking on my two macbooks to make sure they didn't have it :)

9. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

this has happened to me three times already. I am really upset with my macbook. but i have one of those intel core duo notebooks. I don't have the intel core 2 duo. moreover i have a warrenty by compusa. You know one of those crappy ones. well i think that it has to do with the heat but idk. well i am getting it fixed again as we speak.
    on another note do you think that i can still take the problem up with apple or since i am out of warranty is it too late???