MacBook Dies When Unplugged

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kecb, Jan 5, 2013.

1. kecb macrumors newbie

I'm trying to get some help/advice on what to do about my 2009 MacBook. Last month out of nowhere it suddenly started dieing when unplugged from power adapter. A quick google search told me it was a battery problem, so I ordered a new battery no problem. That worked for about 2 hours, and then it started doing it again, dieing whenever it's not plugged in. I did a reset on the computer, and nothing.

A summary of the problem:

* Macbook sees the battery, will charge the battery until full but will shut off immediately if it is unplugged from the AC adapter.

* Macbook will not boot up unless plugged in.

* Battery shows up fine in the computer and fully charged.

* If I put a new battery into the MacBook I have the same issues.

* Resetting SMU and PRAM does not help.

Does anyone know what's happening and how to fix it? My closest Apple store is two hours away, which would require hassle. I would love to just be able to figure out the issue and fix it from home.

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Seeing as you have replaced the battery and done all the resets the only other thing I can think of is the d.c in board. I know its a hassle to take it to apple but at least you would get a good diagnostic of what the problem is.

3. kecb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me what exactly the d.c. in board is? If I take it to the store and the d.c. board is the problem how much would that usually cost to repair? And if I don't go to repair the d.c. board (the hassle is really quite large and the computer works perfectly fine so long as it's plugged in), if every time the computer comes unplugged and crashes, does that damage the computer severely?

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It could be one of two things, the DCIN board, or the MLB.

The DCIN board is the little board which the MagSafe adapter connects to internally. It's about £15.

The MLB is the main logic board, and is about £300.

To be honest with you, from experience I'd say it's the MLB. You can test it though - unplug the DCIN board, and see if it will power on with the battery connected. If it does, it's the DCIN, if it doesn't, it's the MLB.

5. kecb thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the information, but I don't understand how it could be the MLB. Literally the only problem with the computer is that it shuts off completely when unplugged from adapter. It runs completely fine when plugged in; surely if it was the MLB there would be more issues, right?

Could you explain how to unplug the DCIN board? I am happy to try anything.