Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Hi all,

1st thing

Just bought a Macbook that I'm using occasionally with my Panny plasma but can't get the resolution quite right.

It's a Panny TH42pv500 .. I'm connecting using the Apple mini-DVI to DVI connector which in turn connects to the panny via a DVI to HDMI lead.

What should I be setting the res on the Macbook to? 1024x768? I've tried that but I get black bars and the picture isn't central .. or do I need a 3rd party tool to fix this?

2nd thing

I've got a 3.5mm optical jack that I'm connecting to my amp but when playing media with a 5.1/DTS soundtrack the amp still shows it as being dolby pro logic .. how do I make sure the optical out is feeding 5.1 to the amp?

Thanks!
Adam

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
What is the native resolution of the TV? Does it expect an overscanned signal (most do, even on digital inputs).

With respect to 5.1 output the only app I know of that will output a proper DD signal is the Apple DVD Player.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
What is the native resolution of the TV? Does it expect an overscanned signal (most do, even on digital inputs).

With respect to 5.1 output the only app I know of that will output a proper DD signal is the Apple DVD Player.

Screen res is 1024/768 .. what's an overscanned signal?

..tried the Apple DVD player, still showing as pro logic :(

Cheers,
Adam

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
what's an overscanned signal?
Overscan is a legacy from CRT TV days where some of the tube was non-visible. The solution was overscan which basically meant some of the picture was intentionally in the out of sight area. Even Plasma and LCD TVs expect this for legacy support.

The annoyance is that, unless they have a PC mode, they expect overscan even on a precise digital signal. The exact amount of overscan varies from TV to TV.

Basically to display the correct resolution you may need to send more than that to the TV (or switch to TV mode).

You might get some benefit from SwitchResX.

I'd suggest getting on some more AV oriented forums and read up on others experiences with your TV...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.