MacBook dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The Hat, Feb 20, 2012.

  1. The Hat macrumors newbie

    Feb 20, 2012
    So, here's the thing. I'm a student and I used hp laptop for all of my work. Unfortunately for me, the motherboard died and I ended up with using an old powerbook with os x leopard which I really like to work on. But I'm afraid I need something newer because of the advantages of os x lion and icloud, and basically having a machine which is up to date in software sense. Since I'm pretty low on budget these days (bought a new car, paying rent and so on) and I got around $600 to spend. So, after doing some research on the Internet I ended up with having a little problem with choosing what to buy. White MacBook C2D 2.0 gHZ , MacBook air 2009 1.86 geforce 9400m or pre-unibody MacBook pro 15''. I'm not going to use it for any "hard work", just for surfing the web, writing papers, just sometimes for playing some older games such as gta San Andreas or call of duty 2.

    I would appreciate any kind of help and sorry for my bad english .
  2. vincent.m macrumors member

    Feb 3, 2012
    You could use any of those, but you will soon face the same problems you currently have. If I were you, I would save up a bit more and wait for a new model of something to be released. Apple stores often (but not always) have end of life (EOL) sales for the equipment that is being updated until they are out of stock. If you wait for that, you can probably get a model that is much more current for just a little more than you currently have to spend. (plus having a warranty is always a nice thing)

    On another note, none of those macs you mentioned are worth that much.
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  4. luke.mac1 macrumors member

    Jun 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I think you'll struggle to play san andreas on any of those machines tbh...
  5. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

    Oct 4, 2009
    I'd wait till you have enough to buy a new one (with mountain lion around the corner and apple cutting out some C2D) but really I would save the money for a rainy day or pay off the new car faster.
  6. Medic278 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 1, 2012
    New York
    I think your best bet is to wait. Save up a bit more and buy a refurb 2010/11 MBP from Apple. The current gen are great machines and you will want a unibody MBP is it just a better build all around plus with a 2010/11 machine you will have a lot of life left. The machines in your price range are going to be older and quickly become obsolete and lets face it you could buy a decent brand new windows machine for that price, so if your set on a Mac, which I highly recommend then I would say wait and save up until you can get a used or refurb 2010/11

Share This Page