Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snakelda

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Az.
Hi,I am in college and I have an HP and the LCD is practically falling from one side and it's pretty much breaking down.I wanted to buy a macbook but I have one question.
Do I have to buy the iPod Touch and the macbook in apple.com or can I buy it from amazon directly and still get the iPod for free?I ask this because apple.com charges tax and amazon doesn't so it would be cheaper to buy it from amazon even with the student discount apple gives us.Thanks.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
Apple

I believe it is just from apple - a cheaper option is joining the developer programme as a student - cost £99 but gives you an extra 5% discount!

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
I believe it is just from apple - a cheaper option is joining the developer programme as a student - cost £99 but gives you an extra 5% discount!

How is that cheaper? On a base model 13" Macbook Pro, the HE price is £770. If you pay £99 for student developer membership, you save an extra £44.95, so you end up paying £824.05. I wouldn't call that cheaper. Even on the 17" at £1849, that extra 5% wouldn't be £99, so it's no advantage whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.