Macbook discharges while battery is OFF - within hours, not days!!! Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Christie6, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Christie6 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a wonderful white 2.16 Macbook that rarely, if ever, gives me problems. I always have good battery life, and I always wait to make sure it is shut down before I close the lid.

However, I just got back from doing some x-mas shopping, and the Macbook is WARM and my battery is at 0%. I had to plug it in just to turn it on. I certainly didn't run it out while I was using it before I left, and was only gone for about 4 hours. I think this is the second time this has happened. Does anyone know what the H is going on here?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

First question: are you using Apple's latest beta (ie, Leopard)?

3. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

I've had this problem as well with my MBP. it acts as if it has shut down but then seems to keep processing or working. then fans seem to stop so it gets ungodly hot. I hold down the pwr button to shut it all the way off and then boot up to a 75C temp. this can't be good.

this is only since upgrading to leopard.

any ideas guys?

for either of us? or both?

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'll assume the OP is also a yes, judging from SLD's response above me. What's a user to do?

The foolproof solution is to downgrade to the tried-and-true OS, Tiger. If you want to play test-pilot for Apple (ie, if you want to use Leopard), you've got to be ready to pay the consequences (dead batteries, frozen keyboards, zero wifi, random shutdowns, kernel panics, superheating, etc). It's up to you. It'll probably be fixed by sometime in 2008 on Leopard, but until then, you're on your own!

Or, you could let Apple sort out their OS without having it kill your hardware, and simply go back to doing everything you're doing on Leopard in Tiger, where it works just as well, and enjoy using your computer again without the 300 new features/bugs Apple packed into Leopard.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

First, check your power settings. Sounds like your macbook is not going to sleep all the way.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's your foolproof solution? Seems drastic. It'll have something to do with the sleep function and the Power Management Unit. You can reset the PMU if nothing else you do fixes the problem.

If your computer is turning on while asleep, then maybe you can set a password and see if that helps. If you don't enter a password, the computer goes back to sleep. If you don't require a password after waking your computer, once you turn it on, it'll stay on.

You can also change the way your computer falls asleep via the Terminal so that the power doesn't drain as quickly when your laptop is in Sleep mode.

To do this, just go into Terminal and type in:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

To change back to the default sleep mode, type in:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3