Macbook display chipped case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seans9, Aug 31, 2007.

1. seans9 macrumors member

See attachment.

Has this happened to anyone else? It's caused by the display being shut and the little intentions on each side of the display hitting the case. The one on the other side is about to break off as well. Will Applecare cover this?

Attached Files:

2. Selenolycus macrumors regular

This has happened to me too! It's happened on both sides, on the right side being more severe (it goes from the horizontal part and the vertical), while on the left it is similar to yours.

I have no idea if Apple Care will cover it. It's pretty pathetic that it happened, it presents a serious threat to damaging the internals. The iBook case was better designed on this issue. It wasn't simply topped with a flakey piece of plastic.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have seen about 30 pic of the same thing...........

4. Selenolycus macrumors regular

I'm guessing you don't know if they got their MacBooks repaired or not, eh?

5. crzdmniac macrumors regular

Call AppleCare, I'm sure they'll replace it, I know they did mine. They also replaced the bottom case. But then I had other problems due to the way the case was reassembled, and due to that I was given a new macbook. Good luck!

6. emilief macrumors newbie

augh!

the same thing happened to mine....i hope yours was fixed, because im going in tomorrow to see if they'll fix mine.

7. sowillo14 macrumors regular

Damn right they'll fix it, and for some strange reason, it won't happen again. It happened to both of my MB's, and once the bezel was replaced, it never happened again.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It will happen to almost every Macbook eventually. It's a design flaw, just like the Magsafe. Apple hasn't redesigned it, so it'll continue to fracture until they do.

9. elcid macrumors 6502

Yes it is covered. Had mine replaced and it took them 25 hours to do so. You get a new keyboard, trackpad, button and topplate. Worth it in my opinion :)

10. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

had it replaced within 24 hours at a store-- new one is a much better design

11. efp722 macrumors regular

i had the same thing happen to mine. i bought it with out applecare protection in august of 2006 right before college. I finally got around to taking it to the apple store to see how much it would cost to fix outside of warrenty (my 90 days were well up) he originally said it would be at least $150 but then he looked sometihng up and talked to another genus and the decided that it would be a free repair. I got a new keyboard trackpad and faceplate thing. it was awesome.

i actually got a recipt for it in when i picked up my macbook the next day (yes next day repair haha they said it takes a total of 5 minutes to do but i came in right as they were closing) and it came to about $250

12. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

New Macbook has a better design? Is that a fact?

13. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

well the top case they replaced is a better design-- if anyone as the same problem, i would recommend taking it to the store-- i believe it is a known issue with the computer which is why they changed it-- it was covered under warranty (applecare) for me...as someone said above, i would have had to pay about $250 for it so that applecare came in handy!

14. MacDude415 macrumors member

MacDude415

The top case must be really low quality plastic, because I shut my MacBook very carefully every time and I can still see marks left from where it closes.

15. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

Can anyone check the receipt from their topcase replacement to see if the hardware is listed in a way that would allow us to compare it to the original topcase hardware serial number/listing?

16. emilief macrumors newbie

hey guys, well i took my mac to the apple store, and this is what the guy said. EVEN with the apple care protection plan (3 yr), getting this replaced is a one-time only deal. You can get it replaced ONCE and once only, and after that you have to pay ($250). He said the cover was supposed to be a lot better (and i have to say...it looks the same to me).
    I dont understand why they cant admit it's a manufacterer flaw, and not my fault. I take very good care of the macbook, and he claims it's because "pressure was applied." I dont push my macbook's screen down when i close it (no need to, it simply snaps shut magnetically), and it's not like i set books down on it either.

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Apple store policy is to deny known defects until they're officially acknowledged by Apple. Since Apple rarely acknowledges defects, it's a win-win situation...for Apple. If you need it replaced again, go there again and make a fuss, or ask to speak to the manager, and you'll get things moving.

18. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I recommend you guys go buy the Marware Protection Pack for the Macbook. The palm rest is high enough to prevent excess stress on the palm rest area.

I had one of the first Black Macbooks (Core Duo) and used it for over 6 months without encountering this problem with the cracked palm rest.

Also this is definitely cover under warranty.