Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
In the past day, my MacBook has been behaving oddly. At random times, the screen will go totally dim instantly and without warning (it's as if I set the display to full dim). The display is still on sorta. I can barely make out all the windows I had open, just like if you dim it all the way, but it's unusable like that. I can then close the lid, wait a sec and open it back up.

Anyone else seen this? I would note that I updated the firmware about 2 days back IIRC.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Does it ever happen as you're using the machine or do you think it's related to the automatically dimming settings in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences? :)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
As Mad Jew has said it maybe the auto energy saver kicking in to dim the display to save power. Its a bit like a screensaver but for your battery :)

Off topic i know but what does IIRC mean? :eek:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
It's a known issue, and Apple are probably working on a better solution:

Apple Support said:
Intel-based Macs: Built-in display dims before sleep

Issue or symptom

The screen may dim before sleep on an Intel-based Mac's built-in display, even if the Energy Saver setting "Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep" is disabled. This setting may no longer be in effect after restarting the computer.

Products affected

• Intel-based Mac with built-in display (MacBook, MacBook Pro)
Solution

As a workaround, to temporarily stop the display from dimming before display sleep:

• Put the computer to sleep and wake it
or
  • Enable the Energy Saver preferences setting "Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep," then disable it again.
Note: The issue will return each time the computer is restarted.
This document will be updated as more information becomes available.

[Link]

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Does it ever happen as you're using the machine or do you think it's related to the automatically dimming settings in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences? :)

Yeah, it's not that. It goes off while I'm using it. Just did it 2 times in the last 5 minutes. I'm typing away, then bam... dim. It's very annoying.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
It sounds like what happened to my iBook: that was caused by damage to the video cable where it passed through the hinge. As far as I'm aware, this is not a known issue with MacBooks. I'd take it in for repair immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.