Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkilgour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
My screen has started being covered by vertical coloured lines periodically. I can get rid of them by wiggling the whole upper display, which makes me think it is some kind of connection problem. I'm comfortable opening up my macbook and tinkering with it, but I wanted to get some feedback before I start.

Here's what the lines look like:

IMG_1163.png

IMG_1165.png

And here is a video that shows how the lines appear and disappear:

http://vimeo.com/42738525

As you can see, the colours of lines correlate to the image on the screen at that point.

I've tried searching for this problem, but cannot find anything. If you have any idea what could be causing this, please let me know.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Must be a connection issue. Seems like something is "pinching the cable" when the hinge is moving.

That's all I can say. I have no experience in repairing that stuff but pretty sure it's the cable linking the screen to the logic board that's at fault.

revbarabbas

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2009
adnbek is most likely correct. There is a cable in the hinge that can become pinched or worn over time because it is being moved every time you open and close the display. Replacement cables are sometimes available on ebay or powerbookmedic, they also have videos at powerbookmedic on how to open the case on most models of macbooks, check those out and see if the cable is damaged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.