Macbook Display Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JerZDevil111, Mar 9, 2008.

1. JerZDevil111 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I was having the same Safari/Firefox issues as everyone else in the past day while visiting ESPN, youtube, etc. (freezing and having to force quit). While I was researching the problem, the display on my Macbook (OS X 10 4.11) went screwy. I clicked on my system preferences (just clicked on it), and the display just randomly devolved into what looks like a photo that's been out in the sun too long, and the resolution dropped significantly.

My display looks fine during startup, and for a few seconds once it's completely booted, but then goes to the "sunburnt" look. It also looked completely fine when I ran a disk utility from my Install disk. I repaired and verified everything, restarted, and yet still have the same issue.

I'm at wits end. I wanted to post this first off to get any help, and second to see if this happened to anyone else or if it's just my screwy Macbook. This is honestly the first issue I've had with this laptop, and i've had it almost two years. Thanks for any assistance.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

3. JerZDevil111 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is looking more and more like a hardware issue. I just took a screenshot of my Macbook and sent it myself in an email. I checked it on my other comp, and the pic looks fine. So I guess it's the screen itself? I don't have a digital camera either, so not exactly sure how to get a pic.

What confuses the hell out of me is that the screen is FINE while I'm starting up, and for those few seconds before it's completely loaded, and then it looks overexposed and pixelated.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Have you tried changing your display settings in system preferences. Since you say it is fine until your computer gets to the desktop when booting I would start there.

Just open System Preferences then Displays. In displays change the resolution to its Maximum. Then go into color and select a different profile to see if it changes anything, you can also try the calibrate option.

If this does not work try fixing permissions with disk utility then reboot.

5. JerZDevil111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, already did both of those things, and still nothing.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

7. JerZDevil111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, tried that too, and still nothing.... It's baffling me

8. JerZDevil111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lesson of the week... I'm an idiot. Somehow I managed to hit a specific keystroke to change the contrast on my screen from "Normal" to "Maximum". I went to the Genuis Bar at an Apple Store and they figured it out. So, if it happens to anyone else, just go to "Universal Access" in your System Preferences and change the bar at the bottom to Normal.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I forgot all about that color change option there in Universal Access. Note it is also fun to use the keystroke to invert colors on a buddies Mac when they are not looking and watch them freak out.