MacBook display issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by akazmucha, Sep 23, 2008.

1. akazmucha macrumors newbie

Alright, I figured you guys may be able to give me some advice:

I own a 13" MacBook. I bought it in February of 2007.

In about May 07, my display started acting funky and seemed like it was dimmer or not as bright as it was when I purchased it. Then the screen kept flickering a lot. I went to an authorized repair center near me, they sent it out, and apple replaced the logic board.

that seemed to do the trick for a while, but then around october of 2007, it started to do it again. so i called into applecare, and they sent me a box, i shipped it out, and that time, i believe they replaced the inverter board?

well, about a week after that, i noticed whatever dunce at apple did it, completely bent the top of the casing on my macbook, so again, sent it out to have the casing fixed.

got it back and clean and pretty.

now, about 2 weeks ago, the display started flickering again and the display still seems a little dim to what i see on display macs in the apple store, or even compared to my 24" iMac

either way - i'm on hold with applecare right now. i paid the 250$ for applecare (which i'm glad i did). he's getting a supervisor right now, but he said i may want to speak with one to see if he could just authorize a replacement macbook as 3 times later, obviously there is something faulty or something else that is causing this.

now my question, do you think that's the case, or has anyone else had this issue?

also - if they warrant a replacement, are they going to replace it with a newer version of the macbook? if so, i'm totally down for that. i mean, i don't really care, but that would be sweet obviously! haha

also, if i send it in, what's a sure fire way to wipe a hard drive completely? i've never done it on a mac, so i'm not too sure how to go about doing that before i send the macbook i currently have out.

thanks in advance guys!

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If they replace it, it will be a refurb of the same model as the one they are replacing.

3. akazmucha thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I didn't really want to deal w/ the whole backing up, etc. I asked him what all my options were. he was a supervisor and told me that if they try and repair it one more time and it acts up again he can warrant a BRAND NEW unopened replacement for the trouble as something obviously was faulty from the beginning. So I said that was fine. I asked him if it would be a refurb and he said absolutely not, it would be a newer model than mine. He gave me his direct number and e-mail and said if I have even one issue with it when it comes back, call him directly and he will immediately send me a brand new one. Apparently it pays to be nice to people on the phone instead of being angry.

In all honesty though - I use my MacBook for a LOT of things and heavily depend on it. I really kind of hope that when they fix it, it just doesn't do it anymore, period. That would be great and I'd be happy.

But I guess if the stupid flickering comes back yet again, I get a brand new macbook, that wouldn't be bad either. I don't really care though as the macbooks don't really change anyways.