Macbook Display new vs. old

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by friede, Oct 27, 2008.

1. friede macrumors newbie

I ordered a new MB but have to wait for it one more week. Im wondering because there are so many people here talking about that bad display. I have the old MB now and i want to know, if the screen of the new MB is worse than the one of the old MB?

If it's not it'll be just fine for me, but if it is worse i have a problem with that.
    Is there any option to change the display? I've heared that the MBA display doesnt fit into the new MB.

Thanks in advance

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

It's better than the old macbook, but not as good as the MBA.

4. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

going from a 2.0 2008 mb to a 2.4 ali mb, the display is a massive improvement, more efficient too, partially explaining how they managed to reduce the capacity of the battery and increase usage time.

5. MacJenn macrumors regular

I came from a 2.4 blackbook to a new 2.4 alum. Macbook and while the new one is a little better it isn't as great as some of these people are making it out to be. It is brighter and the colors are a little better, but the black on it is horrible. Much worse than the previous one. My friend who owns a new 2.0 agrees with me on this. I know people who have bought the new one want to desperately feel it is much better than the last on, but it isn't. I say this as an owner of the previous gen and the current one.

It is a shame Apple redesigned a new laptop and put in a crappy screen for it. I have come to expect this from Apple though.

6. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

so why haven't you gone and got a refund?? something must be keeping you from getting your cash back????

7. MacJenn macrumors regular

Maybe my car is in the shop getting repaired and my friend is going to take me either tonight or tomorrow. I'm at his mercy. Thanks for the concern. It is all boxed up and ready to be taken back. I'm in no rush. I got a perfectly capable iMac that can do whatever I want it to. At least that will keep me from looking at the crapbooks screen and the other problems I had anymore. I'm looking forward to my new Pro though. At least I know the blacks will look welllllll black.

8. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

not to mention its

1, lighter,
    2, thinner,
    3, lasts longer on a charge,
    4, cooler,
    5, quieter,
    6, stronger,
    7, not plastic, (refering to the ugly palmrest fracture my old mb has nothing to do with being eco)
    8, screen is easier to keep clean (refering to the lack of corners for dust to get caught in)
    9, way better gfx.
    10, the touchpad gestures ( ok may be a little a bit of a gimmick but they arn't a usless gimmick)

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The screen in a way is better - in others worse. I posted some pic's in the other MB display washout thread. I have others if you want me to take any more, let me know. My display has no dark resolution - period. Just not there and no matter what, you can't get it.

Fine for white web pages and colors. They are vibrant but since black is the absence of color, Apple decided they would make it absent in the MB and you'd never notice.:rolleyes:

10. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

im using the spydermacbook profile and its pretty damn nice, the only thing is the text its horrid and antialiased badly, you can prove this by changing the size at which it will font smooth, put it down to 4, have a browse around, you'll notice when it kicks in, same is said when in xp vmware fusion vpc, the fonts look good, back to osx and they are blurry.. this is kinda supported as the air dosent have the same gfx so its rendering it differntly anyway, kinda the same for the mpb,

on the mbp can you force what gfx it uses on the desktop? does intergrated appear better/worse than dedicated??

it could explain some of the screen issues.

11. MacJenn macrumors regular

1. .5 pounds lighter--I'm a girl and .5 pounds is nothing for me--maybe for a girly man it is though

2. Big deal. Very slight anyways.

3. My blackbook and this new 2.4 are the same on how long a battery lasts--so that is BS

4. Cooler--well i know Apple had a problem with the plastic ones before, but my blackbook was just as cool as this using the same apps

5. Not any more quieter than my previous blackbook

6. The new 2.4 I got is flimsy and so is my friends new 2.0--QC is lacking at Apple

7. Some people hate the aluminum so that is a stupid point

8. I owned 2 previous gen Macbook and never had dust in mine

9. Only idiots buy a Macbook to play games--yes they are better though

10. I use a BT mouse most of the time so I could careless about that.

I see no big improvements. People can debate all day which one looks better. The screen is slightly better, but the blacks suck in the new one. Graphics are better I guess, but I don't use anything that exploits that and the graphics would still suck to a Pro anyways.

My conclusion is Apple screwed up and need to make it much better. I hope they revisit it and make them better soon. Now that would piss off the rev a people. Oh well they need to do it.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

13. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

You could prove graphics vs. display by hooking up an external monitor. The MBP in regular mode I believe should be using the same GPU. My Air uses the Intel x3100 GPU w. 144MB of memory vs. 256MB so the MB NVIDIA should be better.

14. uncleSmurf macrumors regular

uncleSmurf

oh well someones PMS'ing...
    uh hem anyways...

It can't be that bad of course Apple could care less what fanatics think because it's the average consumer that continues to buy and the average consumer does not care about specs, or screen quality, clarity, color, etc...

They just want a working computer and if it turns on and does what it supposed to then everyone's complains are mute. Since what, your complaints only account for less then .5% of Apple's total consumer sales? So I doubt apple will care. Real shame too.

15. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Actually, according to this review, graphics performance of the new MB is approximately equal to that of the new MBP.