Macbook display on TV help please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rebeccaa, Dec 22, 2014.

1. rebeccaa macrumors newbie

If anyone could help me, I'd be very thankful. I've been hooking up my 2012 MBP to different TVs for about 6 months now. The display is fine on a typical modern 16:9 TV, a little cut off around the edges but not a big deal. What is far more frustrating is when I attach it to an older CRT 4:3 TV. I have never been able to get the display right, the issue is that everything is pressed together such that a O appears more like () if that makes sense. Circles look like ovals and faces look far too skinny. I have just upgraded to Yosemite and I still can't get it to display properly on a 4:3. I know that there should be letter boxing but I can't get such an effect to happen. Thank you to anyone who can help.

2. sevoneone macrumors 6502

From what you describe, it sounds like you are mirroring your display and the resolution is set to a native 16:9 or 16:10. Something like 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1050. Your 4:3 monitor probably doesn't support 16:9 resolutions so your Mac is scaling and squeezing it into a 4:3 resolution.

2 Possibilities to fix:

1) See if your CRT display has a 16:9 mode. Most computer monitors do not, but most late generation CRT TV's had an option that squished or cropped the image to fix the aspect ratio.

2) While mirroring, adjust your display resolution to one that is 4:3 native.

Goto System Preferences > Displays

Change resolution from "Best for Display" to "Scaled" and choose a 4:3 resolution. Something like 1024x768, 1280x1024 or 1600x1200.

This will put a 4:3 image on both displays. Your MacBook display will have pillar boxes (black bars on either side of the image) but the aspect ratio of the image should be correct on both displays.

3. rebeccaa thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried all the different sizes available. I get the pillar boxes on both TV and Mac but the TV display remains off:

DSC01831.JPG

DSC01833.JPG

The second is what I get on the TV and both displays are showing pillar boxes.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Turn off display mirroring.

5. rebeccaa thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I've done that, but I still can't get a letterbox on the TV for the display to be in correct proportion.