macbook + display or imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by john2006wright, Jun 30, 2007.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

I'm tired of waiting for the new imac so i was comparing the current imac with macbook + display.

Imac: 20", 2.16GHz, 1Gb RAM = £999
    Macbook:2.16GHz, 1Gb RAM = £829

So if i can get a 20" display for less than £200 should i get the macbook which gives me portability as well desk top specs. I can get cheap extra hard drive if necessary.
    My needs are MS office or equivalent, surfing, watching movies, storing music and photos. I don't "need" the portability but it would be nice bonus if at no extra cost.

So, what displays can you recommend. Or should i wait for the new imac?
    Thanks in advance,
    john

2. deanops macrumors regular

i had the exact same dilemma mate,

i bought the macbook (mainly b/c i was sick of waiting for leopard and b/c the iMac was getting old) - i too thought i wouldn't need the portability

however, it is the best thing to have - i can go anywhere in the house, school... anywhere.. airport and do what i would normally do on my home pc - but faster and on the move.. it is too good...

also, i wanted to get a 20" screen for this monster, but after three weeks, i find the screen size suffincent for my needs - which are basically the same as yours...

theonly advice to get an iMac is if you want to play games - i passed on that... lol

happy buying

3. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'm currently using a 15" screen laptop so I don't want to downscale for watching movies (which I do a lot). But I don't do any gaming.
    Also, I'm switching from windows for the first time. I use MS office at work and I want to be able to continue working on powerpoint and word files at home. What is the easiest way to do this?

4. deanops macrumors regular

i went from a 17" screen to it... i also watch alot of movies and tv sows - they look great

i am using ms office: mac 2004 for all my office needs - however it wont do docx (office 2007) files... apparently a new 2008 mac office is iminent....

also a few other open source office sweets exist...
    open office...

i also switched and couldn't be happier... its too simple and you wont regret it... either way you will be pleased

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

The nice thing about the small MB screen is that no matter how much bigger the external screen is it looks huge!!! I went from a 17" widescreen to the MB and when I attach the monitor to the MB it has the illusion of being much, much bigger. My plan is to use it with a 20"+ monitor, even going dual screen it flows very well.

6. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

What should I look for in deciding which external display to get. (I don't do gaming or any pro applications)

7. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

What resolution is your PC laptop's screen? Its not unusual for 15" PC laptops to have 1024x768 resolutions, so if yours is, the MacBook's screen will be better anyway.

8. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

yeah its 1024x768. My only concern was that its too small for watching DVDs with friends etc. I suppose what i want is the imac but portable. So i can achieve that with a big display to hook up to and maybe extra speakers.

9. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

A MacBook as the 2.5 inch drives, which are slower RPM's, like 5400rpm. An iMac will have 7200 RPM drives. That's a pretty good speed increase on your drives.

Another issue is heat. No matter what anyone tells you, a macbook will generate more heat in a confined, small space. I'd have some reservations about running a laptop as a fulltime computer.

An iMac will have better built-in speakers.

10. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

But if you think about it, I'm sure that all the DVDs you'll watch will be widescreen, so the viewable area will be the same on a 4:3 15" screen and a 16:10 13" screen.

If you are looking for a 20"+ display for under £200, this one looks good.

11. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, that does look great. I think I'll get a macbook + that display.
    Does anybody know if the UK will also get the free ipod offer?

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

Until it's announced no one knows for sure, but I would say yes.

The one Apple UK did last year was between August and October (I think) - there's a fairly recent thread that has the exact details though.