MacBook display problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wha, May 13, 2011.

1. wha, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

wha macrumors newbie

I've got an aluminum unibody MacBook that intermittently has the problem seen in the following video and image:

http://vimeo.com/23715347
    http://i.imgur.com/Acab5.jpg

Any idea what the issue might be? I'm currently traveling and don't have access to an authorized Apple repair center.

Thanks

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Is the model # of your machine a1226 or a1260?

3. wha thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's an A1278

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Ok.

It's a bad LCD screen.

A bad LVDS cable on that model, to my current knowledge, never causes that.

On A1226/A1260, it is typically caused by a bad GPU.

5. wha thread starter macrumors newbie

It works fine most of the time after applying a bit of pressure on the hinge so I'm going to assume it's the cable.

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Everyone makes that mistake. It's your adventure, replacing the cable is more expensive - AND more of a pain in the ass! Especially once you find out it's not the cable.

The LCD for that machine runs $46. The cable, from a reputable place is about $54.99-$70, unless you get display assemblies as an AASP and have a large backstock of cables that went unused.

7. wha, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

wha thread starter macrumors newbie

That's incorrect as you need to remove the cable to swap the LCD as well.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-MacBook-Unibody-Model-A1278-LCD-Panel/1428/11

Thanks for your advice though. I think I'll just check for any visible damage to the cable and reseat it. If that doesn't help, I'll take it to an AASP in Kuala Lumpur. I don't have the tools with me to replace the LCD or cable.

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The iFixit guide is insane. You do not need to do ANY of that to swap the LCD. Removing the display assembly is not necessary on any machine from 2006-present.

Just like the guide for A1226/A1260 that has people removing the entire keyboard, or like the a1181 guide that has you removing the display assembly, or the A1237/A1304 Macbook Air ad where they make you remove the logic board.

NONE OF THIS IS NECESSARY AND COMPLICATES A SIMPLE REPAIR!

I've had a longstanding theory that the idea behind those guides is that, if they make everything appear 3x as difficult, their own repair division would be more successful.

Here's how you replace the LCD on this machine.

a) Turn on some big HEPA filters and close the door.

b) Heat the glass up along the sides.

c) Use a GPS suction cup to pull it up around where it says Macbook. Work your way around the sides until you can peel it up like you're opening a trunk. Use slow motions to bend the glass so it peels off from the adhesive smoothly.

d) Unscrew LCD.

e) Pull LCD out slightly.

f) Use very small flathead screwdriver to peel tape off the display cable, and pull back the bracket holding it on.

g) Throw away old LCD.

h) Use fingers to pull display cable out another quarter inch.

i) Use same flathead to help guide display data cable into new LCD, on the sides.

j) Throw bracket over new connector.

k) Tape cable to LCD.

l) Reapply new adhesive.

m) Put glass back on.

My shop has no lighting. Once it does, I'll make a video for this so people stop taking all those necessary steps.

I'm telling you replacing the cable is a far bigger pain in the ass. Especially once you find out it's not the cable! The tools you need to get to the cable are identical to the tools you would need to replace the cable or get to the LCD.

9. zoomin6 macrumors member

My laptop has the same problem except mine are vertical, not horizontal like on the video.

I went to apple and they said I need a new screen and circuitry replaced. Total cost will be $400ish.

Is this a butt-rape price or reasonable?

10. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Reasonable, but the screen sells for $220ish give or take, and the repair takes twenty minutes, so it's up to you if that's worth $180.

11. zoomin6 macrumors member

Hmm thank you for letting me know. Apple will also for $280ish ship my laptop to their repair center, and fix the issue. By fixing, they may not replace the entire screen, only what is damaged.

Also, by shipping it to the repair center, if they find anything else that needs to be fixed, they'll repair it at no additional price.

Idk what to do, I'm getting a new MBP, I'm giving this laptop to a relative once it's fixed.

Walter..