MacBook display screws up (occasionally)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ramparts, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

For the second time in a few days now (I think it may have happened once before, I forget) my MacBook, pretty new (bought it new early June), seemingly randomly (I was just opening a WMV in Quicktime), the display completely screwed up. I used Grab to take a screenshot of a sample of my screen and attached it - for some reason, part of the window (which was covered by Finder when the problem happened) stayed normal. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm guessing it's OS-related (or otherwise software) and not a problem with the display itself, since Grab notices it, too. Why does this happen, how do I prevent it, and what can I do - save restarting - if it happens again? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Does this problem happen with VLC? If you haven't got it download it from here. See if you have the same effect with WMV files.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Failing that, remove the FLip 4 Mac software and reinstall or you can repair the disk permissions using disk utility.

Worst case run a SMC reset and a PRAM reset

SMC Reset (Macbook MacbookPRO)

Reset PRAM

3. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

I happened to be opening a WMV file in QT the last time it happened (tonight), I forget if I was using QT the time it happened before. I do have VLC and if this happens again I'll see if QuickTime is the cause of the problem - thanks.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, this happened to me, but this didn't occur with just VLC, it also occurred with Photo Booth, and when I open a file containing a quartz file. Will resetting the SMC damage anything or lose any of my personal data? like settings, preferences. I look at the support page on apple for SMC reset and they werent very clear. Sorry, I don't mean to be hijacking this thread...

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

No, the SMC reset does not affect any software or your settings. It is basically a hardware reset.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

thanks merl1n, really helped. I did the SMC reset first, boot up, shut down, and then the PRAM reset. Once I got it up and running, works about 2x the efficiency than before. I don't know why or how that works out, but just my feeling..

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I did that with my macbook too, reset the smc and PRAM i noticed a little bit of extra grunt as it booted up, i also ran YASU too that tidied the hard drive up a bit

8. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

This happens to me a couple times a week. It is always when I am trying to load a page in safari. Isn't there a reset you can do on the fly for the screen. Someone told me it once but I can't find it.