Macbook display switches itself off/ won't light

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stu3ufc, Feb 8, 2011.

1. stu3ufc macrumors member

for the past two days my macbook 2008 white the display goes black then i put the top down to reopen it and it comes back on

now i dimmed the brightness to off and now i cant get it to light again no matter what i do

pissing me off

what can i do

should i take it to repair

2. kobyjd macrumors newbie

I have the same macbook, same problem. The brightness is as if its turned all the way down, but when shining a light on it i can still sorta see it, and the brightness toggle keys are working, but the brightness is not increasing. When i toggle the brightness all the way down to 0 and then toggle it up 1, it flashes as if it worked for a second then it just went down again.

3. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

I never had any problems like this before until 2 days ago :confused:

4. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

i discovered that happened to me a few hours ago

5. afrye707 macrumors newbie

Same problem but I fixed it

I was having the same problem with my MacBook late 07. I decided to replace the battery and I have not had the problem ever sence. The computer also has a sensor in it that controls the power and where it is sent (some have had to replace the sensor). You can find parts and videos that talk about how to replace the sensor. The other issue could be your display is going out. The best thing to do is to send it in if you have AppleCare. If not try to go to the apple store and beg them to just tell what is wrong. Most of the time apple will tell you what's wrong then give you a crazy price.
    1. Check with apple ask for a diagnosis.
    2. Replace battery or barrow one and try it out.
    3. Check power sensor.
    4. Display.
    5. New MacBook pro if nothing else works.

6. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

the thing is!

i just replaced my battery and it's brand new!

taking it out does nothing :(

7. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

i changed back to my old battery

I kept pressing the brightness keys both at the same time x3

it worked and came back on!!

so at least it's back....maybe it's the battery i dont know

8. kobyjd macrumors newbie

yea that worked for me too. weird that we have the same macbook, same problem, that started at the same time. Maybe its a manufacturing defect? Maybe other people with this laptop are having the same issue

9. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

o.k it's still going off! having to close and open the macbook

when it fails to come on i have to hold down the darkness key then press the brightness key which soemhow gets it back on

this is complete ********! it just started for no reason

macbook 2008 is a joke! i regrett buying before the newer ones came out over this plastic piece of ****

10. stu3ufc thread starter macrumors member

keep me updated please

if u have anymore problems

11. kobyjd macrumors newbie

I took it to a mac experience store near me, they said its either the backlight itself is dieing, or there is a problem with the cable that connects it, but it is a $90 dollar diagnostic charge...so i said "f" that. My step brother works at an apple store i talked to him, he said the best thing i can do is take it into a apple store and give it to them, he hasnt gotten back to me on pricing yet. But for now, when it goes down i just toggle the up and down brightness keys from 0 to 1 rapidly until it just stays on, and then it works fine for extended periods of time so i can deal with it....

let me know any updates you find tho

also, it works better when plugged in

12. Samosurfer macrumors newbie

Same model and same trouble here. I find If I inch the brightness up slowly to 1 or 2 its will flicker and turn on, but if I turn it up past about half way then it shuts off again. Sometimes I CAN"T get it to turn on again which sucks! I noticed that it reacts to screen position adjustment as well so it might be wiring. My macbook already has a problem with not being able to standby when I close the lid (the fan still runs and it won't wake up when opening the lid) (also needs 5 minutes after turning on before I can actually work the thing. the pointer moves, programs open, mail is retrieved etc but I can't click on anything. I was told that a 400eu fix. :mad:

13. session101 macrumors regular

the inverter board is in the hinge....clues?

i would just take the topcase off and double check your connections, or you can take the bezel off the screen in 5 seconds with a credit card