Macbook dock automatically hide when taken out of desktop mode.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdickson10, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jdickson10 macrumors newbie

I searched for this and found nothing.

I normally keep my dock on the left when connected to an external monitor in desktop mode on my Macbook. Is there anyway for the "Automatically hide and show the Dock" setting to be enabled when i disconnect the Macbook from the Monitor? It would just be easier than going into the System Prefs and doing it manually everytime.

Thanks.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

As far as I know, you can use Marco Polo to invoce an AppleScript everytime you plug in / unplug an external monitor.

3. jdickson10 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Install and start it. Then right click on the compass-like icon in the menu bar and choose Preferences.
    Under Contexts create a new one and name it "external monitor" and one named "internal monitor" (or whatever name you prefer).
    Under Evidence Sources tick whatever might be relevent to switching locations, in your case, "Monitor" would be a must.
    Under Rules, click on the plus and choose "Add monitor rule". Choose the name of one of the monitors and then the respective context. Do the same thing for the other monitor. The confidence is all the way to the right = 100%.
    Under actions, click the plus sign, then "Add Open Action" and choose the applescript for toggling the dock position. Choose context and the other things for that action.

Hope this is enough info :)

5. jdickson10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You so much for your help. Where is the applescript for toggling the dock position located?

Thank you again for your help it's really appreciated.

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

They're not there. You'd have to write them. Well, in fact, I was kind of bored and wrote them for you ;)

Attached Files: