MacBook Docking

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by oGu, Oct 5, 2015.

1. oGu macrumors member

Hello,

I am interested in knowing where are all the USB-C docking stations that where announced right after the macbook launch. Please tell me what is my best option right now. I do not want to use that ugly HDMI multi-port adapter as the cable is too short and I can not hide it anywhere.

OWC was supposed to launch it's docking station right in October but now it just shows coming soon.

Any thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's the Henge Dock I'm not a fan of the vertical dock but they only just started offering the horizontal dock for the MBP

3. oGu thread starter macrumors member

That's for the old plastic MacBook. I just can't seem to find something that will charge and output video at the same time expect for the Apple adapter.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

There is nothing available now that is actually shipping any time soon. The chips available to do anything more than what the Apple one does have not been available at any scale, it appears.

The good news is that the Apple one works fine, even if it's not the most elegant.

5. oGu thread starter macrumors member

I am curious if the manufacturers are just waiting to produce thunderbolt 3 docking stations as those will have many notebooks to connect to pretty soon. I believe also that a thunderbolt docking station should work with the MacBook if they appear in the future.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've said this before - why the heck doesn't Apple make a dock for their laptops. Too many people use MBPs, MBA and MB as their main machine and having a port replicator/dock is a great idea. Especially for the MB since there's only one port.

7. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

You mean a dock like you find for most PC laptops? Because it takes up extra room that would add volume to an Apple laptop, especially the Air and new Macbook.

There is a docking solution via Thunderbolt and Magsafe for most of their laptops into the Thunderbolt Display, and the new Macbook can do it all with USB-C. I suspect we'll see a ton of docking solutions being released when manufacturers start releasing their laptops with USB-C ports that have the Thunderbolt 3 protocol, because it will only require one cable to dock the laptop. It wouldn't be profitable to design a docking cable now that would only sell for (probably) a year or less when a more elegant solution is right around the corner. In the meantime, you've just got Apple's multiport to dock a Macbook, for better or worse.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the next refresh of the Macbook, or possibly a Macbook Pro redesign. Both machines will incorporate the USB-C/Thunderbolt port, so I'll have a computer that will work great as a desktop when docked but can easily go portable when I need it to.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

On a desk, some amount of volume is ok. I'd rather be able to pull the laptop out, and leave then start unplugging all the wires. Granted on the rMB, there's only one wire but still, having a port replicator is something I sourly miss.

I mean in the business world, that's all you see. Laptops for the workers and docks when they're in the office.

9. Unrealmac1988 macrumors member

ironically Microsoft brought us the one dock we all have been waiting for and I am pretty sure that this works with the rMB:

http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/mobile/zubehoer/hd-500/

(sorry for the german link. I do not get to the english website)

They also brought my dream kinda to live with this Continuum idea. If only Windows Mobile was a bit better I would seriously think of switching from my Android Nexus (I am a hardcore Google user)

10. KPOM macrumors G5

The Microsoft Display Dock looks interesting, but the USB-A ports are USB 2.0. There seems to be an issue getting USB-C hubs that can simultaneously charge a device and provide USB 3.0 support.

11. oGu thread starter macrumors member

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/accessory/hd-500/

Link in english. I am curious if it will work with the macbook. What do you guys think? For me this would be absolutely Perfect as I could hide it behind my display.

This part worries me though:

"
    • Power
      • Charger input current3: 3000 mA
      • Charger output current: 2000 mA
      • Charger output voltage: 5 V
    "

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Well, they call their grossly outdated Thunderbolt Display a docking station, but I agree.

When I'm home, my MacBook Pro is plugged into five things in a vertical stand.
    1. Power
    2. Display (Thunderbolt)
    3. Display (Thunderbolt)
    4. Speakers
    5. USB power to my monitor
    I would love a more seamless docking station from Apple.

----
    Out of curiosity, why don't you like vertical stands? Because you can't use the built-in display? I was wondering if there was a technical reason.

13. maflynn, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One word - Center of gravity.

I'm worried something sticking up like that could get knocked over. :)

14. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

Looks ok to me but as pointed out somewhere else: what about the charging rate ? Only 2A @5V is not enough to keep the rMB loaded under use.
    The good thing is that it looks like the usb-c ports are ports and not a fixed cable so one could use a 6ft charge/data cable to connect the hub to the rMB and get it out of the way.
    Another thing: only usb-2.
    It seems very difficult to get things to work with usb-c. Almost half a year after the rMB release I am still looking for an usb-c to usb-c extension cable.
    And what about usb-c flash drives 16/32/64/128gb high speed in stead of using usb3 to usb-c adapters?

15. oGu thread starter macrumors member

Would the new Dell TB3 dock work?

Attached Files:

16. KPOM macrumors G5

No, since the MacBook doesn't have a ThunderBolt 3 port. Maybe next year it will.

17. oGu thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but a thunderbolt 3 port comes with full compatibility for usb-c

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Well, yes, sort of. Welcome to the world of confusion that is bound to occur when we have a single port covering different standards...

A thunderbolt 3 port uses usb-c as the physical form factor, and can support usb 3.1 as a subset of the protocols it can carry on its data lines. BUT while a thunderbolt 3 accessory may physically fit in a usb-c port, there is no guarantee that the two are compatible. The compatibility is determined by the port in the computer, not what the accessory is offering.

19. oGu thread starter macrumors member

The thing that I know about Thunderbolt 3 is that it uses the alternative display mode of the USB c port and thus it needs to have the USB part in the connector itself.

I am really curious about the possibility of this working. I think manufacturers have just been waiting for Thunderbolt 3 to show up to give us docking stations and that is why we see no USB c docking stations.

20. carestudio macrumors 6502

USB-C dock would be great but has to charge the new MacBook properly. If you are a google user, that's another story. Any docking station without real charging function would work for you.
    For the thunderbolt dock. I am using several ones from Caldigit, Thunderbolt station 2, and have been really happy with them. Just update to El Capitan, and everything looks great.

21. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

22. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Would it be safe to assume that if a Thunderbolt 3 port is present on the computer, it automatically includes all the other protocols (USB 3.1, Display Port, etc.)? My understanding is that Thunderbolt 3 will only use the USB-C connector, not the legacy connector, and that all the other protocols will be included, along with power.

23. objektør macrumors regular

objektør