Macbook does not boot, even on USB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hascherpur, Dec 12, 2014.

1. hascherpur macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have an early 2011 MBP 15" (10.10) and just a week or so ago, I encountered this lovely problem. So upon booting up the system, the loading screen goes up to a third and the screen goes white. I cannot start up safe mode and the recovery does not work either.
    So I tried to use an USB with the OS X installer and I encounter the very same problem: it goes up to a third and simply turns white. I tried booting up a linux distro, but I cannot boot it up (quite early some error messages, might be an indicator for hardware issues).

I ran fsck, which reports me that the HDD is okay. I even unplugged the HDD and tried to boot from USB, which does not work either. I took out the RAM and checked them all, nothing wrong there.

I included a youtube video (http://youtu.be/mchMnbs1elE) of the verbose mode of booting up the computer and it seems to me that issue is the graphics card ("dsmos has arrived"). I heard that the AMD graphics chips in the 2011 series is faulty, but I do not get the typical stripes or anything. I wish I could just test the hardware components. I really don't know what else I could do. Maybe you have an idea? Maybe it is something else? I know that apple will want to have a lot of money to repair the computer...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's still Radeongate. Mine didn't show any stripes or whatever, just booted into a white screen (even in recovery).

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

What you think it is is what it is. The common GPU failure on these Macs, nicknamed 'Radeongate' by communities. All you can do is reball the chip or replace the board. A replacement board would be the same and would fail anyway. A reball is where they take off the GPU chip, add new beads of solder to it, and resolder it on with fresh solder. This is a permanent fix and would probably last longer than a logic board replacement.

4. hascherpur thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I will do a reball.
    Man, I hate it when they put faulty hardware into the computers and don't admit it. 8[