Macbook does not charge

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rpeet687, Nov 21, 2010.

1. rpeet687 macrumors newbie

The jack on my magsafe charger ripped off a few years ago and before that happened, it must have shorted something inside my macbook as it would not charge any battery afterwards with any new charger. The battery in the upper right corner showed up with an x, the light on the charger will go from a bright green to a dim green right when I put it in and since then the hard drive broke as well, which is why I haven't made much of an attempt to fix it. My question is, What's wrong inside the computer (i.e. logic board, battery connector) and what any of your opinions are. If I can fix it, what piece will I need to buy and would it be worth or should I just sell my macbook?

2. rpeet687 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind, I figured out that I need a logic board and I'll probably buy an external battery charger. This post can be locked.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, the MacBooks have a small board known as the DC-input board, and chances are the damage is there. I'd see if you can get it fixed before assuming you need an external charger.

jW

4. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Try a different battery... all of the ones I've come across with an "X" over the battery, have been the battery.