Macbook does not detect the right monitor native resolution

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hey-u, May 19, 2008.

1. hey-u macrumors newbie

May 19, 2008
    I am connecting my Macbook on my HD TV but the osx does not detect the appropriate native resolution. MY Samsung TV has a native resolution of 1365x768 but the osx only detects and offers 1280 or 1920 (they both look really bad on my TV).

I used a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable.

I also tried, without success, to create specific display settings using SwitchResX and DisplayConfigX.

I know that there is not a big difference between 1280 and 1365 but still, it's very annoying espacially that I my old PC with XP detected the right resolution as soon as connected it...

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    That actually might have to do with limitations of the video driver (as in what resolutions it will allow the video chipset to output).
  3. Chedam macrumors newbie

May 26, 2008
    New Zealand
    Yeah, I have a strong suspicion that the Intel GMA 950's limits are coming in to play here.

Might I suggest a MacBook Pro?
  4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    my macbook has the intel gma 950 chipset.. and it can output 1920x1080i to my 40" samung lcd tv - which is full hd - 1080p)

OP - have you gone into Display settings and Detected Displays.. and those are the only 2 options available? which is quite weird..