MacBook does not go to sleep automatically anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by celticpride678, Nov 10, 2009.

1. celticpride678

Hi. Ever since installing Snow Leopard, I have noticed that my Late 2008, Aluminum MacBook does not go to sleep automatically. If I tell the computer to go to sleep, it will fine; if I close the lid, it will fine. The display sleeps normally. However, if I just let the computer sit, it will never go to sleep. Any ideas or fixes? I am running Mac OS X 10.6.2.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ive had this happen to me and ive found it had to do with the hard drive never idling for long enough for the Mac to sleep. you just need to find the culprit… log file maybe?

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

There was a similar problem posted here yesterday, and I wonder if it might be a bug in 10.6.2. Does the display sleep correctly?

4. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Yes, the display sleeps fine. It is not a bug specific to 10.6.2 because it has been happening since .0.

5. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

After a bit of searching, it seems like an issue with Snow Leopard and is pretty wide-spread. I downloaded a utility called PleaseSleep and it works well. Will have to stick with this until Apple fixes this issue.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Happens to my iMac too. It'd randomly just not go to sleep. No idea why. I called Apple over the issue and they basically have no solution. Definitely related to Snow Leopard, because this doesn't happen to me in Leopard.

7. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Same here. It seems Apple is clueless on the issue. It did not happen in Leopard, but is is SL.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Didn't you already post a thread on this issue? I know for you it's not isolated to 10.6.2.

9. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

That was because of slow sleep times. Now, it does not go to sleep automatically (until i use PleaseSleep).

10. tnsmart macrumors 6502

I have had the exact same problem since I installed Snow Leopard. None of the updates have fixed it.

11. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Have you tried PleaseSleep?

12. tnsmart macrumors 6502

Yeah, I just installed it and it works great. I don't like that you can't set it to never force sleep or that the icon has to be in the menu bar (or a floating panel). Otherwise it works fine. I hope that Apple fixes this soon so that PleaseSleep won't be necessary.