Macbook doesn't charge when being used

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Antidoll, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Antidoll macrumors regular

So for some reason, my Macbook Pro doesn't charge when I'm using it.. it keeps going to "calculating" and "Not Charging"... However, if I log out .. it charges again (it also charges overnight when I close it)

anyone knows how to fix this? (btw it's a new laptop I just got couple months ago)

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

If you have AppleCare or purchased within last 90 days call AppleCare

3. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

I just looked at my account and it appears I ordered the Laptop October 24th so I guess it's been more than 90 days..

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure you have a secure connection to the adapter. See the link for troubleshooting adapters in the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

I've read that before... doesn't really help me in this situation...

I don't unplug or do anything but the moment I log out, the battery charges again..

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

You have a warranty, use it, that's what it's for!

7. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

So I did some troubleshooting on my own and it seems that the only time my computer does NOT charge is when I'm streaming Netflix on my browser...

the moment I turn off Netflix... my computer starts charging again...

****ing weird...

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apparently Netflix is consuming significant system resources. It's normal that under periods of high demand, your Mac will draw power from both AC power and your battery, causing your battery to stop charging or even drain somewhat, even if plugged in. This is explained in the AC POWER section of the Battery FAQ I posted earlier.

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was going to ask what application you're using. It's not that weird, any application that consumes a significant amount of power will stop the laptop from charging. Most laptops will: you should hear the fans on my girlfriend's HP when we're watching Netflix. It also stops charging.

10. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm

I thought something was wrong with my laptop...

that's extremely weird though.. I have more than half of my computer's memory free...

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not just a matter of RAM usage. It's CPU/GPU utilization that demands more power.