MacBook doesn't have a 56k dialup port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wireless Buddy, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

I'm getting a MacBook (white $1299 one) and I was looking over the specs...

Is it true that it doesn't have a dial up port? Because that could kill it for me very easily...

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

3. Wireless Buddy thread starter macrumors regular

AirPort?

What about AirPort? I heard that it can be used for dial up. Any truth to this?

4. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

you can use your computer's airport in order to wirelessly transmit your dial up connection, not the other way around.

5. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I too think it's absolutely ridiculous that the MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro ALL lack a dial-up modem.

I've found myself in a position to have to send faxes a few times, namely to my stupid cell phone company about a billing dispute, and to PayPal. If I had to go out and spend $50 on a USB modem, I would have been really upset.

I guess that's one of the upsides of having a PowerBook?

Seriously Apple, what's the deal here... that component can't cost more than 3 cents.

6. Wireless Buddy thread starter macrumors regular

I'm so confused.

I really don't want to buy a modem. It will defeat the purpose of a laptop since I can't move it from my table.

7. Wireless Buddy thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah well I have dial up ISP so I need the port.

8. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm actually guessing this one was not a cost save completely, and that they actually went and got the market data to back up the idea that hardly anyone is using dial up anymore.

Although granted, I could see it being a very big deal for the small group who still need it for legitimate reasons. Although now, most of that could be replaced with a bluetooth connection to a cell phone's data services, now....

To the OP.... if you need landline telephone dial-up, you have to get the USB modem or else get a different computer. Sorry.

10. Wireless Buddy thread starter macrumors regular

Oohhh Okay. I was imagining something like the size of a wireless router. Thanks for the heads up! I will be buying the MacBook then.

Wait. One more question.
    Can the MacBook natively set up a dial up connection (like entering the dialing info and logon info/passwords, etc.) or is there a patch or something?

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Internet Connect can handle that.

Some providers do have Mac clients, some. :rolleyes:

12. Wireless Buddy thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I have Netscape, and on my Windows XP Dell, it is a program, but I could set it up and connect manually using Windows Connection center if I wanted to.

So I guess I'm asking if I could do this with Mac OS. Or if Netscape has a Mac version of their propriety connection software...

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know if they have software for Mac, but if you can set it up in Windows Connection Center, you can do the same thing in Internet Connect. It's very similar.

14. seanneko macrumors member

I'm glad it doesn't have one. The last time I used a dial-up modem was probably about 5 years ago, so I don't want the port on the side of the computer making it look more cluttered.

The number of people who would want a built-in modem would be negligible, so there's really no point in Apple including it. It would be like including a 3.5" floppy drive - yes, I'm sure some people want one, but most don't.

15. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

You can connect wirelessly with dial-up trough the Airport Extreme, although not with the current version. I currently do this with my pre-Extreme Airport Base Station.

edit: you can purchase the previous Airport Extreme from the Apple refurb store

16. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Kind of like when the iMac came without a floppy drive, I think Apple has cut out old technology just one generation too early. Most of us don't even use the modem port but there have been a few handful of times in the last 2 years that I've been glad I've had it.

17. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I'm also glad the macbook doesn't have a modem port, I don't know anyone who uses a modem anymore. It's been over 5 years myself as well. Even when I travel there's always Wifi or high speed connection wherever I go. Definitely would add clutter.

Get the USB adapter, you are spending $1000+ anyway on a laptop what's another $50 (though I remember seeing cheaper USB modems for $30 somewhere that work with macbooks).

Try to haggle with whomever you are buying the laptop from, you might get a discount on the adapter.

18. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

It's a .5" port in the side of you computer. How is that clutter?!?!

19. emac82 macrumors 6502

I have an Apple USB Modem, for my cottage. I just leave it in my laptop bag so it's always there when I travel, and harder to lose.

I'd rather see them add another firewire port (400 or 800, I'd prefer another 400 I have needed 2 sometimes and was without a hub) than them adding a dial up port........

20. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Absolutely. But they didn't replace it with anything, they just got rid of it and it's not like there's a lack of room either.

Strange mac designers!! :D

21. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Your right, the side of my laptop is cluttered whether that port is there or not. What I'd rather is all the ports located in the back so they don't keep getting in my way and I will never see them. I'll never undstandstand why they are located on the side like that.

I think the idea is modem ports are a thing of the past now even if there are some people that still use them. Just like the above poster stated about Apple removing floppy drives.

22. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

When does the average joe buying an expensive, urban-aimed laptop need a dial up port that he can't just put in his pocket?

Seriously, the last time I used dial up was probably 1997. Hell, I went to Africa and I used HSDPA cell internet! Africa! 100x the speed of dial up on a continent with less internet penetration then your average hicktown.

23. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

In some situations, a modem can be a lifesaver.^^

24. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Exactly. And isn't the benefit of a laptop its convenience? I hate having to carry around extras with a laptop. Not to mention having to buy them when making them standard isn't such an effort.

Like I said before, I rarely need access to dial-up but would it really hurt for it to be there? The space hasn't been replaced by another port. If it was replaced by another firewire port then I wouldn't be lamenting its loss. :D

25. polycat33 macrumors 6502

If you add up all the things that "wouldn't really hurt to be there," it would hurt. So which do you add which don't you? Clearly the modem didn't make the cut. You can't have everything. What percent of people do you think would actually use it if it were included (and how often)? With WiFi everywhere you can probably pick up a neighbors signal at a faster speed than dialup with get you. ;)