MacBook doesn't recognize external hd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Monte, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Monte macrumors newbie

Hi,
    After reformating my macbook, my macbook won't recognize my external hard drive. When I plug in the f/w the icon doesn't pop up on my desktop(like it usually does). I checked the power source, the external hd is on, and I checked my f/w and usb ports (they both work with other external hd and flash). I still need the data on my external hd, is there anything that I can do so my mac recognizes the hd?

Thanks!!!

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Do you have another Mac to test the external HD on? If so I'd try that to eliminate the possibility of the HD taking a plunge at a really bad time.

This is supposedly a problem that was introduced with the latest Mac OS patch (10.4.10) but was said to affect USB hard drives.

I'll google around a little more and see if I can uncover some kind of fix.

Edit: Another suggestion, have you tried "Zapping the PRAM"? (Boot while holding down the Command+Option+P+R keys until the computer "chimes" several times).

3. Monte thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the suggestion, is resetting PRAM a lot of time bad? (what is PRAM? and how often is too often to reset it?)

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

This page has a pretty good general overview of PRAM: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86194

I'd generally only reset your PRAM when you're having an issue.