macbook dose not startup after upgrading 667mhz ram

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mark p, Dec 30, 2009.

1. mark p macrumors newbie

Hi

I have attempted to upgrade the ram in a 3,1 macbook to 4GB but the ram dose not seem to be recognised. I bought 2 sicks of 2GB 667mhz pc2 5300 which should work.

If I put one of the old 512mb sticks in at the same time the laptop will boot with 2.5gb
    but with a just single 2gb stick or both it dose not boot (just the light on with a black screen)
    So dose anyone know of a way of getting the macbook to boot with out the old ram?

2. sonspot macrumors member

did you try booting with the 512 and both of the 2gb or just one, try both (one at a time :) ), maybe one of the 2gb is bad.

3. chill. macrumors 6502

4. mark p thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help.
    I tried all combinations and they only worked with one of the old sticks in at the same time as a new one.

The ram was unbranded (and cheaper than crucial etc) so I guess thats part of the problem. Maybe they are not actually 667Mhz despite saying that on the packet

5. sonspot macrumors member

that sucks, i just picked up 4gb (two 2gb sticks used, kingston i think) for my B-MB, if you bought them new, i say take them back and look for a local deal, you can get good used ram for cheap..

i also picked 2gb back in the summer, still working great.

guess i should update my sig.