Macbook dropped, display broken, not working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by uazwildcats, Nov 25, 2008.

1. uazwildcats macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a sad story about a dropped/knocked of the table laptop with a broken display. It's also not working but turning on (can't use a home PC display). Any thoughts on how to get the data off the harddrive? Is there a way (if it works) to plug in a USB from the macbook into my computer to pull the data off? (trying to not pay too much for this) I also have Apple care for 1 1/2 more years, do you know if Apple would transfer to a new Macbook?

Any other ideas on how to get some money back from ebay selling, etc? (bought from Apple store)

Thanks, Sean

2. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

If you buy a new one, they will transfer the data...may have to pull out the HD and put it in a USB enclosure, but it's pretty easy to do yourself if need be.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Take the hard drive out the MB and buy a hard drive caddy, if it's that broken you won't be able to transfer the data using the MB, buy a hard drive caddy for the drive (2.5 inchs) and use it transfer it/keep it on there that way.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I think Apple will give you a partial refund on the unused portion of your Applecare. I don't know how much though.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

6. California macrumors 68040

California

7. uazwildcats thread starter macrumors newbie

8. uazwildcats thread starter macrumors newbie

California...

California, looking for the best offer...want a picture?

9. uazwildcats thread starter macrumors newbie

Hard drive caddy/enclosure question

Hi, if I get a caddy/enclosure, will I only be able to transfer the data on a mac or will a pc work too?