MacBook drowning

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by simonjones88, Jan 11, 2009.

1. simonjones88 macrumors newbie

I certainly had a lucky escape there!
    Last night, as young 20-somethings do, me and a mate decided to indulge in a little home drinking! Later into the night after the vodka had been flowing a few hours, i managed to spill a drink over my 2 year old macbook!
    DISASTER!:eek:
    The machine instantly turned off. Within less than 5 seconds i had torn out all the cables and the battery had been removed (quite a feet after the amount of booze i'd consumed!) All my music, all my photos, MY CV (i recently lost my job) all on that laptop!
    DEAD!:(
    I feared the worst, but opened the machine up and rested it in-front of a heater, in hope that it would dry out and work......maybe! After about an hour, impatient i put the battery back in....no signs of life! Cause of death - drowning!
    SUCCESS!:D
    It's alive!! How, I do not know but after 6 hours drying out it's going again! Ok i've got a few sticky keys and it made a strange hum when i first turned it on but it appears to work fine!

Thank you apple, for making such a heavy duty laptop. I'd like to believe that had this been a run of the mill PC eqivilent, i would be in a very sorry state right now. I certainly learnt my lesson.
    SO RELIEVED!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You should leave it for several days to dry before turning it on, or even connecting any power source...

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I would have let it dry out longer.

Also, I would back everything up ASAP.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Listen carefully

YOU NEED TO WASH IT OUT WITH DISTILLED WATER AND LET IT COMPLETELY DRY FOR TWO OR THREE DAYS

Alcohol with sugars in it can cause electrical current to fizz out your logic board and can corrode it. Distilled water will not hurt it if you do not let it sit in the water and completely let it dry.

Do not try to blow dry it or speed the process. Pour only the same amount in that you had in with the drink. Then turn it over and let it dry one more time.