Macbook "Dudoo" beep sound

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DanHalen, Mar 9, 2013.

1. DanHalen, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

DanHalen macrumors newbie

My Macbook recently has begun making a friendly "Dudoo" beep/alert noise every couple of hours at random. Sometimes it will go up to 12 hours not displaying this noise. I have looked at tons of Youtube videos and the beep in them sounds like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOfWH8EHL74 and all commonly seems something that has to do with starting up the machine. My computer doesn't make the chirp noise either. This is not the problem I have, this will be at random when the computer has been on for some time. It's just one quick "dudoo" "beep" then nothing more for hours. At first I thought it was a program open but under further inspection the only thing open was spotify and my internet browser and it wasn't coming from them. Has anyone had this sound? What is it?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

If you are getting a new beeping noise at startup, then that suggests a hardware fault. What model of MacBook do you have? (There used to be sounds known as "Death chimes" which Macs made at startup if the hardware was failing, but they are not used on newer hardware.)

An intermittent, straight tone and random intervals while the computer is powered up might also be a hardware fault, though it could equally be some program.

Check you haven't got any random third-party software running in the background.

You say you have your browser open. Were you looking at FaceBook? FB now makes little beeps whenever there's a new notification. But the noises are a little less harsh than the one in the YouTube video.