MacBook DuoCore vs Core2Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by melonsoda, Apr 23, 2009.

1. melonsoda macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I am looking to buy a used MacBook ... I used to have a MacBook 1.8ghz Duo2Core last year but it died on me and was sold off as junk, now I am looking to buy a new MacBook but I am on a really limited budget so I was looking at buying a MacBook DuoCore 2.0ghz 2gb ram - I have found one for $500. I was just wondering how much of a speed loss or lack in power can I expect from this DuoCore compared to my old Duo2Core, will my apps really crawl on the MacBook DuoCore - I am looking just to use Renoise, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and some iMove. Your help in this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Timo

2. teksurv macrumors regular

I can't speak for those apps, but if 64 bit processing and >2gb of RAM is important to you stick with the Core 2 Duo line.

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

the processors are actually

the Intel Core 2 Duo and the Intel Core Duo.....

and there is a HUGE difference. from a 2.0CD to a 2.0C2D.

you can look on geekbench - they have an Apple computer comparison with scores... you won't be THAT bad - but 30% improvment from one processor to the next is average i'd say...

plus keep in mind it's not just about the processor speed - the older CD's may not be able to accept as much RAM as the newer C2D's.... also bus speed comes into play as the new MacBooks have a 1066MHz bus which makes everything a heck of a lot faster.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Core 2 Duos run cooler and are 25% faster at the same clock speed. The C2D MacBooks can take up to 3.3GB of RAM vs the 2GB limit of the CD. They also have n WiFi vs g WiFi.

5. melonsoda thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast replies guys, I see that the Core2Duo is a bit faster than the CoreDuo, for me I am not really a power user as long as I can write my tracker tunes I am happy and do some simple web design. I am on a really limited budget. The one point I like about the CoreDuo that I am looking at was that it comes with a SuperDrive which the Core2Duo doesn`t. I think I will go for the CoreDuo, save my pennies and buy a newer MacBook in year or so :) I guess the CoreDuo 2.0ghz should be fine for working another year or so. Thanks again for all the help.

6. bericd macrumors member

I have one of the first gen Macbook Pros with the 2.0 GHz Core Duo. It's still a great machine. The only real downside I have is being limited to 2 GB of RAM, which can hurt a little if I'm running a virtual machine or 2.

I have a mac mini 1.83 GHz Core2Duo also, and don't really notice much difference in speed.

7. melonsoda thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, yeah I just picked up the MacBook today and am quite impressed with it, compared to the MacBook Core2Duo there is not really much difference plus I am only really planning to run Mac OS and sometimes an Amiga emulator, nice little machine, still seem to have plenty of muscle the DuoCore :)