MacBook DVD Drive Compressed...

lynkynpark86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I've always heard that you should hold the MacBook by the "port" side, which I generally do. But over the years, it's been slowly compressing, and today I noticed it's finally closed enough that it's a task to remove the disk. Is there anything I can do to fix this without buying a replacement?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
A replacement what ?

There is a "letterbox" type metal part on the right side of the bottomcase which will probably be a bit squashed or crushed now.

The best way is to remove the top case and the optical drive and then gently uncrush it with a very wide flat headed screwdriver. Instructions for disassembly on ifixitcom.

It is not that bad a job to do even if you have never taken a laptop apart before. The optical drive itself will normally be fine.

lynkynpark86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
A replacement what ?

There is a "letterbox" type metal part on the right side of the bottomcase which will probably be a bit squashed or crushed now.

The best way is to remove the top case and the optical drive and then gently uncrush it with a very wide flat headed screwdriver. Instructions for disassembly on ifixitcom.

It is not that bad a job to do even if you have never taken a laptop apart before. The optical drive itself will normally be fine.
My laptop is state property. Is it safe and simple enough in this case?