Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

lynkynpark86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I've always heard that you should hold the MacBook by the "port" side, which I generally do. But over the years, it's been slowly compressing, and today I noticed it's finally closed enough that it's a task to remove the disk. Is there anything I can do to fix this without buying a replacement?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
A replacement what ?

There is a "letterbox" type metal part on the right side of the bottomcase which will probably be a bit squashed or crushed now.

The best way is to remove the top case and the optical drive and then gently uncrush it with a very wide flat headed screwdriver. Instructions for disassembly on ifixitcom.

It is not that bad a job to do even if you have never taken a laptop apart before. The optical drive itself will normally be fine.

Comment

lynkynpark86

macrumors 6502
Original poster
A replacement what ?

There is a "letterbox" type metal part on the right side of the bottomcase which will probably be a bit squashed or crushed now.

The best way is to remove the top case and the optical drive and then gently uncrush it with a very wide flat headed screwdriver. Instructions for disassembly on ifixitcom.

It is not that bad a job to do even if you have never taken a laptop apart before. The optical drive itself will normally be fine.

My laptop is state property. Is it safe and simple enough in this case?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.