MacBook DVD Drive Error: Can't install Snow Leopard...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bravenger, May 12, 2012.

1. Bravenger macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am in need of some help and advise please...

I own a Black MacBook4,1 (built late 2008). Currently running on OS X Leopard 10.5.8
    I bought this MacBook 2nd hand at the beginning of 2011 via eBay. It didn't come with any CDs/DVDs or Install Discs of any description.

The internal CD/DVD Drive does not recognise Film DVDs, Retail Music CDs or the OS X Snow Leopard Disc I have just purchased to upgrade my MacBook system. but it does read/play MP3 CDs. I have attempted to use Disk Utility several times to diagnose & repair the errors but to no avail.

I have used an old Toshiba laptop to copy the contents of the new Snow Leopard Disc onto an SD Card with the idea of installing the new OS X via my SD Card through an USB port. Is this possible and if so, should I be aware of anything in particular? If this isn't possible does anyone have any ideas/suggestions, please? Also, does anyone have a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E for sale or can you recommend where I might get hold of one please? (I'm also thinking of locating a MacBook which is going for spares/repairs...)

Like a lot of people at the moment, I am experiencing some very tough financial challenges so I really don't have a lot of money. However, I do need my notebook for my work and for the new business venture I am embarking on so, I will do what is necessary to keep it up and running properly.

Many thanks and kind regards,
    Nigel.
    N.E. England.

2. allapon macrumors regular

allapon

I think that your superdrive might not work. The better way to fix will be used external DVD Drive. It costs less than replace Superdrive!!

3. softwareguy256 macrumors regular

Yes, a USB thumb drive should work. Hold alt while booting up to present the option.

4. Bravenger thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook Built-In CD/DVD Drive Not Working...

Hi everyone,
    Since I wrote my message asking for help with my MacBook's Built-In DVD Drive I have cleaned the DVD Drive's optic with a proper Lens cleaner Kit, but it made no difference. I also tried copying the contents of the Snow Leopard Disc on to a Data Pen via my old Toshiba (Windows PC) laptop, but again, no joy there. The 2 different formats just don't mix... It was predictable I suppose, but I thought I'd 'suck it & see'...
    So, I can either take my MacBook to an Apple Workshop and pay a tidy sum to have it repaired, IF it can be repaired...? Or, I can buy an External DVD Drive. If my Mac computer was a newer model I would definitely take it to be repaired, but as it's 3+ years old now and out of its' Apple Warranty, I really don't think I want to pay out Apple's Repair Fees. (I simply can't afford it at the moment anyway.) So I'm going to have to start searching for an External DVD Drive.
    Many thanks to 'allon' and 'softwareguy256' for your time and suggestions - it is very much appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    Nigel.

5. birdhouse1575 macrumors newbie

This ^

As for the disc drive, it's definitely busted. Replace it with a nice superdrive :)

Buy a superdrive on eBay and replace it yourself ($30-40?). There are DIY guides you can find that are fairly easy to follow.

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Do you have a friend that owns a mac?
    If you do, then it would be easy to use his mac to make a usb installer.

7. Bravenger thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook CD/DVD Drive - Update...

Hi guys,
    I really appreciate all your messages & advice; really helpful and most appreciated!
    I don't know anyone else with a Mac around where I live who is able to help me. Due to the lack of free time I have right now I have decided to go for a simple (& cheap) External DVD Drive via eBay: "USB 2.0 External DVD RW CD RW Rewriter Burner Drives". It's new and it only cost me just £16.78 including p&p. I rarely use the CD/DVD Drive so I'm not so bothered about getting an External DVD Drive that isn't an Apple product.
    All I really need it for right now is to install my new OS X Snow Leopard.
    I'll keep you posted with my progress...
    Many thanks again!
    Regards, Nigel.