Macbook DVD drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Accumet8000, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Accumet8000 macrumors newbie

How to replace Macbook dvd drive? Thanks for the help

2. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I replaced my mother-in-law's optical drive on her Macbook, and want to give a couple pointers.

For the engineering inclined, the process on ifixit is rather simple, with a few things to watch out for. For those that aren't, I wouldn't recommend this since it's not like working on a standard computer tower. I had three small issues with parts of the disassembly/reassembly.

First, when taking off the top cover, be very gentle, the fine edges crack very easily, and can't be easily glued. Note that a screw protrusion on the left side facing the screen needs to be pulled around (hard to explain, just know that when the top cover doesn't come off easily when all screws are out that a screw protrusion on the right is what is doing it).

Second, make exact notes of where the ribbon cables inside the computer run. You will need to take out 3, and move a couple others, and they need to go back in exactly the same way. EMI and broken cables could result if not done properly.

On last thing. There is a screw on the back of the optical drive that wasn't in the ifixit instructions when I did it. It is hidden in the back, on a small metal arm, under some wires, and needs to be removed to remove the drive. It is also not easy to remove, and put back once it is out.

I can't wait for my new 13" MBP, that will be soo soooo much easier to work on than this or my old PB. Good luck.