Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigi747

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Hi,

I am new to Macs and I recently bought a MacBook after not wanting to deal with Vista. My MacBook works great and I don't think I'll ever go back to Windows. I have just recently been experiencing problems watching DVDs:

1. After watching a movie without moving the mouse for a while, and then when I move my mouse or press a key my computer will either show the screen saying that the computer needs to reboot, or the application playing the dvd will freeze and I will not be able to quit it or force quit it.

I use the included "DVD Player" and VLC Media Player.

I am wondering if this isn't an issue with my hardware issue with my dvd drive or a software issue. I seems that this issue has only ocured since I have installed Toast 8 Titanium, which I have since removed. I have run the OS X hardware checker utility that came on my OS X CD, but it found no errors. Maybe I should run the Extended test in "Loop Mode''?

It seems that my Issue is only with DVDs, I can listen, Burn, Rip CDs just fine, no errors. I can also Burn DVDs no problem, just the playback issue...
[with both burnt and regular movie dvds]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
when I move my mouse or press a key my computer will either show the screen saying that the computer needs to reboot

Do you mean, you get a kernel panic?

That's not good, likely a hardware problem. Contact Apple, especially if it happens often and is easy to reproduce.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.