Macbook DVD Region Code

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dragongirl, Jan 14, 2012.

1. dragongirl macrumors newbie

Hi, this is my first time here.
    I've got the following problem...
    I just bought a DVD over Amazon. Unfortunately I didn't know that it was region 1. I can't watch it because I'm from Germany. But I know you can change the region setting on the DVD player on the Macbook. I've also done this before, but it's been a whole since I watched anything on my Mac, so I forgot how to do it.
    Can anyone tell me how to change the region settings on my Mac?

Also, I know you can only change the settings 5 times. It could be that I already changed them five times. I don't know anymore, like I said, it's been a while since I watched anything. In case I already changed it five times...is there any type of software I can download to still watch the DVD?

Who can help me with this?

2. HstephenG macrumors newbie

Would like to know this also.
    Possibly a different option for watching DVDs?

3. Android300zx macrumors regular

Have you tried using VLC? With VLC it doesn't matter what region it is. Just download it and play it with that application.

4. IvanOhio macrumors newbie

5. Android300zx macrumors regular

You could also rip the DVD with Handbrake and then view it that way. It will take some time to rip plus space on your hard drive.

6. jakeboy macrumors newbie

or do this instead - region code solved

Hey just for the record, i have tested this on many Macs and it works.
    actually Apple deleted my post on their forums maybe because i found out...
    but here is the solution once and for all without software or firmware or flashrom and all that nonsense.

Cheers.

first remove folder in - User/Libary/Application Support/DVD Player : trash the seetings folder inside.
    second remove file in - User/Libary/Prefrences : com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist - trash that file
    Third go to Application Right click on DVD Player, choose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS - trash the folder inside the DVD PLayer. Empty the trash. now you can play any dvd from any region forever. Region Free Drive.
    You cant use the dvd player anymore but the system thinks it still there. So Use the VLC player.
    Hope this is helpful for every one.

PS: if you cant find the 'hidden' User/Libary - folder here is the way to make it visible again in your user folder.

Show User ~/Library in OS X Lion & Mountain Lion
    Launch Terminal from Spotlight or Launchpad -> Utilities, and enter the following command to show or hide the directory:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library/

that's it. good viewing out there.