Macbook...DVI Output? VGA Output? External Mon?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by musiqzuki, Dec 13, 2008.

1. musiqzuki macrumors member

So I got a Macbook and I want to hook it up with the S2209W Dell 22" Flat Panel LCD Monitor.

Which Video Output do I get...? Cuz I don't know the difference between DVI and VGA..

2. Knolly macrumors 6502a

DVI is superiour to VGA.

DVI is a purely digital signal, thus there is zero loss of detail, whereas VGA is an analog signal, and thus can lose information along the way.

3. gamer2502 macrumors regular

dvi is the long white one and vga is the small blue one and dvi gives better quality than vga but vga is more commonly used than dvi:apple:

4. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

You going to need one of These (DVI, VGA) to run it to. Assuming its a New Alum Macbook. Picked one up today from the Apple store and it works great! VGA at least.

Edit: Did some research and your display uses DVI so you will get this one for the Alum MacBook.

5. musiqzuki thread starter macrumors member

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

does a vga adapter work on top of apples dvi connector; I have 2 that came with my graphics card.

[​IMG]

7. kasakka macrumors 65816

Unfortunately no. Apple has been a bitch once again and the DVI adapter only carries the digital component, not the digital+analog. So if you want DVI and VGA, you need to get an adapter for each.

8. musiqzuki thread starter macrumors member

Is there a cord that can extend the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, seems kind of short...

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I haven't seen an extension yet, you might get a longer cord from your monitor/TV to the DVI-Adapter...