MacBook dying, need fastest way to save the data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RandomHavoc, Aug 18, 2011.

1. RandomHavoc macrumors member

Ok, my Macbook is dying (don't know why and no longer care. it's lasted 3 years and I'm gonna replace it).
    The screen went on it so I can only see what I'm doing when I plug it into another monitor. And now just a couple weeks later it's messing up all kinds of ways.

Stupid me, I never used Time Capsule. Is that the best way to save all my info? I've got another macbook for now that I'd like to put all my itunes onto, can I do that from a time capsule save?

Also, how easy is saving to time capsule, and any tips? Thanks.

2. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Okay, so currently, you do have two MacBooks, right? Do they have FireWire ports? If so, do you have a FireWire cable? Are they both useable with OS X?

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Simplest solution:

Get a cheap external USB HD caddy. Remove the hard drive from the faulty Macbook, install it in the caddy and then connect the caddy to your new computer - at which point you can copy the data off it at your leisure.

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

USB hard drive (== or > your current drive in size) & Carbon Copy Cloner/SuperDuper. Or you could just rip your current HD out and stick it in a USB enclosure.

EDIT: Crap tersono beat me to it. :)

5. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Or, if they both have FireWire ports, make a connection between them with a FireWire cable, hold down the T key on the MacBook where you want to transfer data from (you should see this Icon bouncing across the screen), and then you you can do Carbon Copy cloner or even Migration Assistant on the MacBook receiving data.