MacBook dying?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by megatronbomb, Jan 9, 2009.

1. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

My 2 year old MacBook has worked quite well without issues until the other day when the battery status started saying, "Battery is not charging" and now it ejects any CD/DVD I put in after a few seconds.

Everything had been fine up until this point. Nothing bad happened (no water spills, wasn't dropped, etc.) I've done the PRAM and SMC resets, but they've not helped.

I've never had a Mac die in such a short span of time. Is this normal for the MacBook line?

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Sounds like a logic board issue.. :confused:
    Try calling Apple Care or going by an Apple store.

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Probably the battery itself is dying?...or you'll probably need a new logic board but a good option is to go to an apple genius and have them look at it

4. megatronbomb thread starter macrumors regular

megatronbomb

Yeah, I just made an appointment for Monday.

Damn... I regret skipping Apple Care.

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Well, if it is the logic board you'll be paying some hefty amount of money and if you are lucky and it's a dead battery then you won't pay as much as the logic board does...

6. megatronbomb thread starter macrumors regular

megatronbomb

Fortunately, we're living in swell economic times with money flowing in the streets! :rolleyes::D

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks.

7. endingstart macrumors newbie

My cd's and dvd's did the exact same thing and I just had to get the optical drive replaced.

8. megatronbomb thread starter macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I wanted to thank people for their help and update the situation.

I had my Genius Bar appointment today and I'm still stunned at how smoothly it went and at how awesome the Genius was. I've had Macs for 10 years and this is the first time I've ever had to take one in for a problem or repair, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

I told him what was going on with the battery and he explained the problem with the MacBook batteries and said they'd replace it at no charge, even though my MacBook is over 2 years old. I told him about my drive, he tested it once with a CD to replicate, and said they'd take care of that for me as well, no charge.

He did up the paperwork, told me it'd probably be 3-4 days. 7 hours later I got a call that it was ready. I picked it up, got it home, and have a brand new (1 cycle) battery, working combo drive, and they replaced the top keyboard/trackpad portion as well. I have no idea why they replaced it. I didn't say anything about it or have any troubles or anything. I'm kinda glad though, it feels much nicer than my 2 year old one! :D

For a first experience with the Genius Bar, this couldn't have gone any better.