MacBook early 08 needs new logic board

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gordonnay, Aug 31, 2011.

1. gordonnay macrumors member

Hey guys I sadly dropped my MacBook last week from about 1 ft off the ground It slipped out my hands while reaching for it from my bed! The next day it started playing up graphical distortions when moved and freezing, or switching off completely when moved, the beeps when trying to boot. reset the ram bought new ram. the genius bar at apple say its a new logic board £302 plus VAT, they'll do labour free.

just wanting opinions on what others would do here? i mainly use it for downloading and storing photos music etc and syncing my iPhone & iPad.

Should I go with it or shell out on a new model?

2. session101 macrumors regular

well my question is should you cut your losses and buy a new one because...yeah you may have EFFF'ed up the logic board, but what about the screen and damage to the body? you sure its only the logic board that has damage, what about the HD?

3. StockDC2 macrumors regular

How much is a new one where you are?

Btw, if you're somewhat technical, I would try baking the motherboard. More than likely the GPU is not making very good contact with the motherboard but by heating it, you are melting the solder and making the connection strong again (won't be as strong as it was when you bought it brand new unless you do a BGA repair).

4. Nago macrumors member

Nago

Usually brand new logic boards are so expensive they're not worth it unless it's a model that's worth it spec-wise.

Happened to me and ended out buying a new laptop (with a little investment ofc) but lasts me many more years than a board replacement on an old computer.