Macbook Early 2008: Can't install Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by garirry, Sep 14, 2015.

1. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Hello everyone,

Due to a stupid mistake of me, I accidentally corrupted the entire Finder and my system became unusable (out of panic, I force shutdown my computer after opening an entire downloads folder). I tried creating another account, but that didn't work, so I obviously decided to reinstall the thing. However, every single time I tried, it failed the installation either because "it couldn't copy files" or something else I forgot already. Here's what I tried.
    -Partitioned the drive myself (GUID, Extended Journaled, etc. etc.)
    -Did a 100% format on my drive
    -Switched the memory sticks (to the ones I know actually work)
    -Continue failed installation
    -I even tried installing on the drive externally through iBoot, while the installation worked, the system wouldn't boot on my Macbook after and would occasionally show the "corrupted" symbol.
    Well, I wanted to try and install from another Mac, but most of my Macs are Power-PC and won't boot on Snow Leopard and my only other Intel iMac is kinda broken. I don't have the ability to try another copy of Snow Leopard, Leopard, or try a different hard drive. I don't know anyone who owns a Mac. I assume it has nothing to do with the memory (because neither memory works on my MB), nor the hard drive/installation since it installed fine on my only PC that can actually run something. I fear that my computer itself has some kind of problems, but I'm not exactly sure.

Any tips? Thanks.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I suppose your error is "installer could not copy the necessary support files".
    Lots of possible fixes here : http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/snow-leopard-install-failed-again-and-again.776451/

The main item that I would try first is to make sure the DVD surface is clean, without obvious scratches. Wipe it clean with a soft, dry cloth.
    If the DVD drive is original - from 2008 - the drives are not the longest lasting device, and not as reliable as you might hope, particularly when installing the operating system files.
    I made a copy, by restoring through Disk Utility/Restore tab, of the Snow Leopard DVD to a USB flash drive, which works reliably, and installs much faster than the install from the optical drive. It's a good use for an 8GB flash drive, where it fits perfectly.

3. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

I actually am installing from a USB. In fact, I also forgot to mention that I tried to restore the SL DMG I had on my computer... twice, neither time it worked. I'm also considering trying on another USB, but I'll have to find it first. I'll read the post later, I'm a bit tired right now. Thanks for your answer.

4. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

Okay, so I tried installing Leopard, while the installation worked, it wouldn't boot from the hard drive (it either froze on the Apple logo or the thing spinned forever). I found a functional 2.5" hard drive and put it inside, and both Leopard and Snow Leopard installed, booted, formated, without any problem whatsoever. So it looks like the original hard drive is near its death.