macbook early 2008 - display is black when halfopen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by temen, May 2, 2011.

1. temen macrumors member

Hi,

My 2008 macbook started 2 weeks ago acting strange. When display is opened like Im normally working (~110 degrees) then it's fine. However when Im closing it a little - to let's say 70-80 degrees - screen blacks out.
    Before that screen was blacking out at ~20-30 degrees, so it's not the issue macbook is going sleep. Something with display, maybe used cables..?

Did somebody experience ever such issue? Or have any ideas what can be wrong?

Also another question - 2008, so it doesn't have warranty. If I would send it to apple service - they'll estimate price for fixing that and ask me if I want to pay xx amount, or they'll fix and after that tell me how much I _have_to_ pay?

thanks!

2. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Could very well be a backlight issue. Does the screen go dark or does it shut off? If you shine a light onto the screen can you still see the image?

3. temen thread starter macrumors member

yes, it's just backlight. macbook isn't going to sleep or anything like that.
    Do you have any idea how I can fix this?

4. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Could be a number of things from inverter cable to inverter board to backlight going bad. Since the image is still on the screen we can assume for now that the actual cable from the logic board to the screen is fine (I forget the name of this cable).

Watch the following video and see if it is a challenge you want to take on or if you just want to pay someone to do it. Local mac repair individuals are usually cheaper than apple but apple will fix something if they mess it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3-SQeABnaE

5. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

LVDS cable

if your computer had previous display issues fixed by apple it could be a pinched backlight cable due to installation error (kind of like getting a part of your clothing getting snagged in the car door), the backlight board, or the LCD itself. I also diagnosed a computer where the actual logic board was the culprit (although much rarer)

If it's under warranty I'd bring it to the apple store. Otherwise, bring it to an apple authorized service provider to see if they can properly diagnose the issue and report back to us

6. eman macrumors 6502a

Most likely culprit is the inverter cable, it's being pinched and worn by the hinge. This is a cheap fix.

7. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Thank you for throwing that out there I could not for the life of me think of the name.